Mr. Connelly’s representative matters include:
Energy/Oil and Gas
- representing midstream companies in all aspects of pipeline projects in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and elsewhere. Recent midstream matters include:
- obtained summary judgment for midstream company that was upheld by the Pennsylvania Superior Court in a case involving contract and tort claims regarding placement of a pipeline
- defending cases involving a wide variety of claims throughout these jurisdictions, including claims for breach of contract for violations of Right-of-Way/Easement agreements, negligence, fraud, trespass, claims brought under state Hazardous Sites Cleanup Acts, and private and public nuisance claims for activities related to pipeline construction and the operation of compressor stations, including for noise, dust and release of hazardous materials
- defending major midstream company in defeating injunction action brought in federal court by landowner attempting to stop access to and work on his property related to the repair of a pipeline rupture
- handling all aspects of multi-billion-dollar pipeline projects spanning numerous states, including putting protocols in place for activities in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio and elsewhere for issues ranging from acquisition of options for rights-of-way to drafting construction documents
- advising pipeline companies regarding viability of eminent domain and pre-condemnation activities in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio and elsewhere
- negotiating with landowners on pre-litigation matters involving all manner of potential claims
- analyzing and drafting gathering agreements and other commercial agreements.
- representing oil and gas companies in insurance coverage actions
- representing exploration and production companies in litigation in state and federal courts in Pennsylvania and elsewhere, including defending construction claims, defending claims for bonus and anniversary payments under oil and gas leases, defending declaratory judgment actions, defending against claims attempting to repudiate leases, quiet title actions, and in disputes over the sale of natural gas, mineral rights ownership, lease formation, and held by production status
- representing field services companies supporting the oil and gas industry, including drilling companies, trucking companies, water supply companies and others, in all aspects of operations, including negotiating and drafting Master Service Agreements, Master Drilling Contracts, advising on hiring and termination issues, Department of Transportation issues, locating operations in multiple states, and representing these companies in litigation
- coordinating counsel for multi-state utility company with respect to matters including litigation, labor and employment, environmental, real estate, and power plant issues.
- North America coordinating counsel for defense of opioid-related claims in state, federal and provincial courts
- defending against claims of off-label use and improper marketing in multiple jurisdictions
- advising regarding a broad range of commercial and operational issues.
Financial Industry Litigation
- arguing successful motion to dismiss on behalf of leading provider of analytical solutions and credit scoring products and services in first of its kind antitrust class action. Black v. JP Morgan Chase & Co., et al., 2:10-cv-00848-DSC-LPL, ECF No. 84 (W.D.Pa. Aug. 10, 2011)
- defending one of the two largest financial institutions in the nation against claim brought in Pennsylvania state court seeking over $1 billion
- winning summary judgment for lender based on recoupment and setoff arguments in action brought under the state Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law. Detwiler v. CitiFinancial, No. 10735 GD 2009, Court of Common Pleas of Indiana County, Pennsylvania (February 2010)
- defending numerous banks and other financial services institutions in actions brought in state, federal and bankruptcy courts and before arbitration panels involving allegations of predatory lending, violations of TILA, RESPA, HOEPA, FCRA, FACTA, FDCPA, FCEUA, fraud and other statutory and common law claims.
Other Litigation Matters
- advising media entities on newsroom issues such as access to courts, access to public records, and protection of sources
- acting as trial counsel in state and federal courts in Pennsylvania and before arbitration panels
- representing owners, developers, and managers of commercial and retail properties in all aspects of state and federal court litigation
- representing employers and former employees in trade secret litigation, including all aspects of preliminary and permanent injunction matters
- defending companies and individuals in investigations by state agencies and in criminal matters brought by the state and federal government.