Mr. Stein’s representative experience* includes:
White Collar Criminal Defense
- secured verdicts of not guilty on all 25 charges of second-degree murder against Barry Cadden in the nationally covered New England Compounding Center criminal case arising out of the 2012 meningitis outbreak
- represented the owner and president of a technology company during a federal criminal investigation into export violations and government contract fraud; ultimately succeeded in persuading federal prosecutors not to bring criminal charges against the individual or his company
- successfully defended a senior employee of an investment company against SEC allegations that he violated the Securities Act and the Exchange Act by engaging in a scheme to defraud investors, and further represented that individual in subsequent related state court civil proceedings.
- conducted an internal investigation for a diagnostic laboratory into allegations involving improper sales practices and potential violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute and HIPAA
- conducted an internal investigation for one of the largest nursing home operators in the Northeast into an employee’s allegations of widespread violations of nursing home regulations and other applicable health care laws
- conducted an internal investigation for a nationwide government contractor security company into allegations of irregular and improper timekeeping and billing
- conducted an internal investigation for a financial auditing practice into allegations that an employee concealed a material liability of a client on its audited financial statements.
Civil and Commercial Litigation
- obtained summary judgment in favor of a hospital and the chief of its medical staff in a lawsuit brought by a previously dismissed physician alleging improper termination
- won a motion to dismiss a breach of privacy lawsuit brought by a patient against her treating hospital for allegedly disseminating confidential medical information
- successfully defended a company providing utilization review services to a health insurance plan against a lawsuit alleging the improper denial of members’ claims as not medically necessary
- successfully defended a hospital and several senior employees against a former employee’s federal whistleblower and wrongful discharge allegations by reaching a favorable negotiated resolution
- won a landmark federal lawsuit against the U.S. government (HHS) to overturn a debarment order based on findings of research misconduct and remand the case for the first administrative hearing on research misconduct charges since 2005
- obtained a noncriminal resolution of state dental insurance fraud charges brought against a dentist and her dental practice by the state attorney general’s office
- obtained dismissal of a high-profile civil lawsuit brought against a former high-ranking state employee alleging public corruption and political affiliation discrimination
- obtained summary judgment in favor of a quasi-public organization and a former director in a multimillion-dollar contract and business tort lawsuit brought by a former vendor
- negotiated a noncriminal disposition for a former municipal employee charged with multiple criminal violations of state environmental regulations by the state attorney general’s office
- recovered damages on behalf of a hospital medical group against a former member-physician who breached his employment agreement
- obtained a civil settlement in excess of $1 million for a commercial landlord in a breach of lease lawsuit
- obtained dismissal of a breach of contract lawsuit brought by a doctor against his former medical practice
- obtained dismissal of a civil class action suit against a former director of a large corporation brought by a class of former employees.
*Matters may have occurred before joining the firm.