Apply for Current Openings | Who to Contact
The summer program begins with a two day orientation program, that includes computer training, research training and an interactive writing workshop. Professional development programs will continue throughout the summer and include:
- Practice Group Introductions
Partners and associates discuss their practice and the level of work expected at different career points
- Deposition Skills
Full-day interactive deposition program; summer associates work on teams to take and defend a deposition and are given feedback by partners
- Negotiation Skills
Hands-on program negotiating sample corporate transaction documents, including a letter of intent, shareholders agreement and employment agreement
- Pro Bono Opportunities
Discussion of the wide-range of pro bono opportunities available to attorneys
- Professional Responsibility
Interactive workshop on law firm ethics; summer associates work on mock committees to solve sample ethics issues
- Associate Development
Overview of associate experience - training programs, annual evaluation process, partnership promotion
- Firm Financials
Introduction to law firm economics, including firm-specific financial information.
Summer associates select the assignments they work on throughout the summer. By working on high-level client projects, summer associates work closely with teams of seasoned Pepper Hamilton attorneys. The assignment selection process encourages summer associates to seek out assignments from practice groups of interest, and to explore areas they have not been exposed to. Examples of summer associate assignments have included:
- prepare a memo to assist a public company client in complying with its disclosure obligations under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934
- analyze viability of potential claims brought by victims of investment fraud scheme. In addition, identify and analyze defenses that may be asserted, including statute of limitations OR participate in interview of and fact collection for victim of investment fraud scheme; prepare summary of findings
- prepare memo on high profile pro bono matter related to protecting individual constitutional rights of Philadelphia prison system inmates
- work with case team to draft successful Motion for Summary Judgment in third-party payor action for major pharmaceutical company client
- work as a member of death penalty appeals team on time-sensitive research and filings
- research state laws governing the transferability of contracts in connection with an acquisition.
Summer associates also accompany Pepper Hamilton attorneys at hearings, depositions and closings related to an assignment they worked on.
Our summer program experience does not come without a promise of support. Each summer associate is paired with an associate mentor to guide them through the summer experience. The associate mentor takes a “hands on” approach to answer questions, provide direction on general matters, and to facilitate introductions to other Pepper Hamilton attorneys. Each mentor takes a genuine interest in ensuring a well-rounded summer associate experience.
Summer associates receive both informal and formal feedback from the attorneys they work with on each assignment. Informal feedback is delivered throughout each assignment. When an assignment is completed, the assigning attorney submits a formal evaluation form. Mentors track these evaluations to ensure summer associates receive timely feedback, and meet with summer associates to review each evaluation form. The constructive feedback given during the summer program provides a solid foundation for a summer associate’s development as a future attorney.
Summer associates interact with Pepper Hamilton attorneys on a daily basis. Relationships with partners and associates are built through work on assignments, informal lunches and casual social events. These connections often outlast the summer program and continue during the associate experience.