Legal Secretary (Intellectual Property)
Pepper Hamilton has a full-time legal secretary position available in the Intellectual Property Department.
- types and edits correspondence, memoranda, and other such documents specific to the timekeepers’ area of practice
- assists timekeepers with USPTO filings
- maintain up to date, orderly filing in legal and patent files and ensure that filing is accurate
- maintain calendar, docket and patent files
- patent file maintenance including counting and tracking patent claims
- calendar due dates for U.S. patent prosecution matters and from foreign patent associate and office actions
- draft, type and/or edit correspondence, including letters reporting official patent office actions and responses
- draft/prepare correspondence to foreign associates and clients
- print patent docket reports for attorneys, monitor due dates and provide meaningful and timely reminders
- download patents or prosecution documents from U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, EP Patent Office and WIPO Patent Office Web sites
- patent searching
- familiarity with U.S. and Foreign Patent Procedures
- format patent applications, drawings, official responses and amendments
- proofread patent applications and amendments
- transcribes dictation, operates photocopying equipment and telephone
- screens telephone calls and records messages in written and electronic form
- maintains timekeepers’ appointment schedule by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences and travel
- conserves timekeepers’ time by reading, researching, and routing correspondence and incoming mail. Ensures that outgoing mail is timely delivered.
- opens new matters and creates files; maintains up-to-date, orderly filing and ensures that filing is accurate
- process expense reports/reimbursements
- make travel arrangements
- Elite time entry and billing
- receives clients and visitors by greeting them in person, or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries
- maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including, but not limited to Word (styles, macros, tables), as well as an advanced knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, and experience with entering time
- ability to transcribe and edit legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft, dictation, or transcription
- ability to review all work product for accuracy, grammatical, typographical, or spelling errors
- ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and use own judgment in decision making on how to adequately and efficiently meet all deadlines. An ability to take the initiative in handling projects and anticipating what needs to be done. An ability to understand and follow specific and detailed instructions.
- must make productive use of working hours and exhibit strong time and priority management skills
- maintain and observe confidentiality of client matters
- interpersonal skills necessary in order to:
- communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of attorneys and staff, and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact
- communicate with various personalities at all levels within the firm as well as clients and others from outside of the firm, and
- communicate by phone and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
Pepper Hamilton LLP takes very seriously our commitment, and that of our clients, to diversity and inclusion. Pepper is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value and encourage qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status, union affiliation, disability, or any other protected status under applicable law. We strive to cultivate a diverse and inclusive workplace where we continually promote opportunities for all.
Amy Y. Coral
400 Berwyn Park
899 Cassatt Road
Berwyn, PA 19312-1183