Our business, finance and tax matters for media, communications and entertainment clients include:
- mergers, acquisitions, stock and asset purchases and sales
- joint ventures and joint development groups
- public and private equity transactions
- venture capital
- senior, mezzanine, second lien and other debt financing and refinancing
- employee benefits and executive compensation
- real estate matters, including tower and antenna construction and finance
- setting up e-commerce operations, including Web stores
- cross-border taxation, spin-offs, tax-free asset exchanges (IRS Code section 1031), FIN 48 compliance, state tax optimization, including IDA sales tax exemption, transaction cost deduction analysis, pre-filing agreements and IRS representation in audits
- corporate governance matters.
Our IP experience for MCE clients includes:
- content acquisition, licensing and distribution
- digital rights management
- data collection and maintenance
- data security and privacy
- intellectual property audits and evaluations
- sales and marketing programs
- patent advice and litigation
- trademark advice, prosecution and defense
- copyright counseling and defense
- software licensing and development.
Our regulatory experience includes:
- consumer advertising and marketing and other FTC matters
- U.S., state and international privacy, security and data protection regulations
In litigation matters, Pepper has one of the most foremost practices representing news media in First Amendment litigation matters. We also represent media, communications and entertainment clients in a variety of commercial litigation matters, including, for example:
- a film distribution and production company in defense of refusal to deal case charging violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act and Pennsylvania’s film distribution statutes
- wrongful death and personal injury litigation based on promoter liability in connection with events sponsored by a radio station
- litigation involving the right of public access to public and semi-public areas to exercise free speech rights
- breach-of-contract litigation, landlord-tenant disputes and other commercial litigation for media clients.
In bankruptcy matters, Pepper is experienced in advising MCE clients on:
- transactions with distressed companies
- license continuation
- bankruptcy litigation
- debtor and creditor representation
- state law creditors’ rights
- transactional opinions.
Pepper’s restructuring and bankruptcy group is an integrated network of professionals and support personnel who focus exclusively on all aspects of reorganizations, bankruptcies, restructurings, workouts and buyouts. Our team is national in focus, appearing regularly in bankruptcy courts throughout the country. Our clients include large national and international public and privately held corporations, as well as governmental entities, small businesses and individuals.