Pepper's Commercial Insurance and Reinsurance Practice Group relies on six fundamental principles as the foundation of our work:
- We understand the insurance and reinsurance business, and will bring our group's experience and skill to bear on every issue. We view every legal problem also as a business problem.
- We will embrace each client's goals – long-term and short-term – and understand how each engagement serves these goals. We understand that each legal problem fits into a larger business context.
- We will work as a team with the client, as well as the client's accountants, actuaries and other outside experts, to make sure that all decisions and strategies are the product of consensus, and are effective, thoughtful and efficient. Communication is critical.
- We will be active, enthusiastic leaders of the reinsurance legal and arbitration communities.
- We deliver, on everything we do, appropriate legal work of the highest quality and integrity. We are litigators first and foremost, but we understand that litigation (or arbitration) is but one tool available to the client. We aim to be part of a team that solves problems – whether by contributing to a successful strategy, negotiated resolution, mediation, compromise, or by litigation when necessary or unavoidable.
- We view our client's problems as our problems, and they are important to us.
These principles have helped us build a team with significant depth and experience. Pepper has worked on nearly every "hot" insurance and reinsurance issue over the past two decades. We began with reinsurance recovery actions for the long-tail mass torts of the 1980s (Dalkon Shield, asbestos, environmental) and now work on program business, workers' compensation, surety bonds, London market business and many issues involving property and casualty, life, accident and health lines of business.
Through our retention as reinsurance counsel by the Pennsylvania Department of Insurance as liquidator of Reliance Insurance Company and Legion Insurance Company, we understand issues arising from reinsurers' interactions with financially impaired cedents and regulatory issues. On the coverage side, we have represented insurance carriers in a wide array of issues including environmental, toxic tort, D&O, medical devices and ERISA.