Julia D. Corelli
Julia D. Corelli is a partner with Pepper Hamilton LLP and vice chair of the firm’s Executive Committee. She also co-chairs the firm’s Commercial Department and its Fund Services Group.
Ms. Corelli concentrates in private investment fund formation, private equity investment transactions, venture capital investments, acquisitions and dispositions of business enterprises, joint ventures, and corporate/shareholder and partner/partner dealings. She also is experienced in matters of investment fund principal compensation and planning.
In recent engagements, Ms. Corelli has:
- advised numerous principal groups on the formation and operation of private investment funds, including private equity, venture, real estate, bond, distressed and hedge funds
- assisted funds and strategic investor groups, as well as operating companies, in completing leveraged buyouts, venture capital investments, management buyouts, recapitalizations, mergers, and asset and stock acquisitions
- counseled funds, investors and corporate clients regarding allocations and distributions, succession planning and buy-sell arrangements, as well as carry and option arrangements
- counseled operating companies on contracting, financing, licensing, outsourcing, capitalization and related matters
- counseled boards of directors regarding reorganizations, recapitalizations, strategic partnering, governance and fiduciary matters
- advised companies regarding board issues, contracting, outsourcing, incentive equity and capitalization maters, buy-sell and other shareholder relations matters, and domestic and international structures and operations.
Ms. Corelli has spoken before numerous trade and bar associations and other functions on a variety of topics, including domestic and foreign private investment fund formation and operation issues, investment structures used by private investment funds, buy-sell agreements, and partnership, limited liability company and S corporation planning and operational issues.
Ms. Corelli is a contributor to The U.S. Private Equity Fund Compliance Guide, an in-depth guide which aims to inform and prepare private equity investment advisers with all the tools and intelligence necessary to register and maintain an active compliance program with the SEC as required by the Dodd-Frank Act. The book is published by PEI Media and available online at www.peimedia.com/compliance.
Ms. Corelli’s speaking engagements and publications include:
- “Complying Times,” Private Equity Manager Roundtable - New York, NY, July, 2011
- "Candor on Compliance,” Private Equity Manager Roundtable - New York, NY, November, 2010
- "Marketing , Advertising and Fund Solicitations," Chapter 9 of The U.S. Private Equity Fund Compliance Guide, edited by C. Lerner of Fiduciary Compliance Associates, LLC; PEI Media, October 2010
- “Four Specialists in GP/LP Agreements Discuss How Best to Negotiate Term Sheets and Structures with Family Office Managers and Individual Investors,” Capital Roundtable – MasterClass, New York, NY, February 25, 2010
- “New Do’s and Don’ts of Fundraising in 2010 – Bucking the Trend & Hitting Your Targets,” Capital Roundtable – MasterClass, New York, NY, October 6-7, 2009
- “A Proactive Approach to the New Operating Environment,” PEI Strategic Financial Management Conference, New York , NY, July 15-16 2009
- “Limited Partnerships Best Practices for Negotiating Your Terms & Conditions,” Capital Roundtable Workshop, New York, NY, May 2009
- “Investor Forum: FAS 157,” WIN Program, Philadelphia, PA, February 2009
- “Term Sheet Negotiations by Funds,” Kauffman Fellows Program, Babson College, Boston, MA, November 2008
- “Fair Value and Its Impact on Venture Capital and Private Equity” (with John J. DiBello), Private Equity Client Servicing Summit, FRA, New York, NY, October 2008
- “Fundraising for P.E. & V.C. Firms – Why Prospects Look Bright for First-Time Managers,” Capital Roundtable, New York, NY, February 2008
- “Adapting to Changes in Non-Tax Definitions,” Private Equity Fund Formation Management, Boston, MA, November 28-30, 2007
- “Spotlight on Legal Issues: Developing FoF Strategies for Dealing With What You Don’t Control,” IIR’s 2nd Annual Private Equity Fund-of-Funds, Boston, MA, November 27-28, 2007
- “Term Sheet Negotiations by Funds,” Kauffman Fellows Program, Babson College, Boston, MA, November 2007
- “Structuring Private Equity Fund Investments in LLCs,” IIR Venture Capital and Private Equity, Palo Alto, CA, October 2007
- “When Hedge Funds and Private Equity Funds Partner, Conflicting Obligations May Arise” Pepper Hamilton LLP Private Equity Law Update, June 2007
- “Fundraising for PE and VC Firms – Winning Strategies for Experienced & Emerging Managers,” Capital Roundtable, New York, NY, May 2007
- “New Developments in Non-Tax Law Affecting Your Funds,” IIR Private Equity Fund Formation and Operations, Boston, MA, December 2006
- “Private Equity as an Alternative Source of Capital,” PBI Business Lawyers Institute, Philadelphia, PA, November 2006
- “Private Equity Fund Economics: Allocations and Distributions,” IIR Venture Capital and Private Equity Tax Practices, San Francisco, CA, October 2006
- “Fundraising for PE and FC Firms – Winning Strategies for Follow-on & Start-Up Funds,” Capital Roundtable, New York, NY, September 2006
- “Fundraising for PE and VC Firms – Winning Strategies for Follow-On and Start-Up Firms,” Capital Roundtable, New York, NY, May 2006
- “Navigating the Legal & Regulatory Landscape,” “Best Practices of Fund Governance,” IIR Private Equity Fund Formation and Operations, Boston, MA, December 2005
- “Fund Allocations, Accounting” (with Mary Kuvsisto and Greg Vlahos), IIR Private Equity Tax Practices, San Francisco, CA, October 2005
- “Buy-Sell Agreements, Atlas – Negotiating and Drafting Major Commercial Agreements,” Philadelphia, PA, June 2005.
Ms. Corelli joined Pepper in 1984. From 1989 through 1997, she was a member of the firm’s tax group, where she became a partner in 1992. She is currently a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and also served on the Executive Committee from 2003 to 2009.
Ms. Corelli is a member of the American, Pennsylvania and Philadelphia Bar Associations.
B.A. 1981 Yale University
J.D. 1984 Villanova University School of Law; editor, Villanova Law Review
LL.M. (Taxation) 1991 Villanova University Graduate Tax Program
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania