Andrea Toy Ohta
Andrea Toy Ohta is a partner in the Commercial Litigation Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Philadelphia office and admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and California. Ms. Ohta’s practice is centered on complex civil litigation and related white collar criminal matters and regulatory investigations, primarily in the life sciences and health care industries.
Ms. Ohta has significant experience leading teams and handling matters in the pharmaceutical and health care industries. Capitalizing on her biology degree, Ms. Ohta has cultivated a broad-based practice in these industries. Representative engagements include representing:
She also has experience in a wide range of other complex commercial litigation, white collar criminal, and investigatory matters. Representative engagements include representing:
- a major pharmaceutical company in connection with a U.S. Department of Justice grand jury investigation into the company’s good manufacturing practices and over-the-counter drug recalls
- a major pharmaceutical company in cases brought by state attorneys general alleging Medicaid fraud, violations of state unfair trade practices acts, and common law fraud claims
- a major pharmaceutical company in a federal securities fraud class action
- a third-party physician design consultant in products liability lawsuits against an orthopedics company that were consolidated in a multidistrict litigation
- a third-party health care research company in a products liability class action against a major pharmaceutical company
- a third-party leading health care ratings company in a federal securities fraud action brought by several hedge funds
- the selling stockholders of a hospitalist services company in a dispute with the purchaser over an escrow fund.
Before joining Pepper, Ms. Ohta was an associate with Dechert LLP in Philadelphia from 2002 through 2007, where she worked extensively on complex commercial litigation matters, including insurance coverage litigation, bad faith insurance defense, accounting malpractice, consumer fraud and unfair trade practices litigation, and breach of contract matters for Fortune 500 companies.
- individuals and institutions facing allegations of mishandling of complaints of sexual misconduct, including representing colleges in parallel U.S. Department of Education Title IX and Clery Act investigations and civil litigation
- public companies in internal investigations of their accounting practices, internal controls and financial reporting
- a compliance director in parallel U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission investigations of the trading activities of one of the nation’s largest financial institutions
- a subsidiary of the world’s largest fire protection and security company in numerous commercial litigation matters in federal and state courts throughout the nation
- a Japanese national who was a target in a U.S. Department of Justice criminal antitrust investigation of the auto parts industry
- the bankruptcy estate of one of the nation’s largest cable television companies in an accounting malpractice case against its former auditor, which resulted in a $167.5 million settlement for the client.
Ms. Ohta has been involved in numerous professional organizations. In 2004 and 2005, she chaired the Philadelphia Bar Association’s Minorities in the Profession Committee and served on the Asian American Bar Association of the Delaware Valley’s Executive Committee. Ms. Ohta is a past member of the Temple American Inn of Court and is currently a member of the American Bar Association, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Pennsylvania, and Philadelphia Bar Association. Ms. Ohta also serves as a representative for the UCLA Law Firm Challenge.
B.S. 1998, summa cum laude, University of California, San Diego
J.D. 2001 University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law; member, Order of the Coif
2001-2002 Law Clerk to Hon. Ronald S.W. Lew, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Los Angeles, CA)
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and California