Kristin H. Jones is a partner in the White Collar Litigation and Investigations Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Philadelphia office. Ms. Jones serves on the firm’s Hiring Committee.
Ms. Jones specializes in civil and white collar criminal cases arising out of allegations of fraud, false statements and bad faith. Her matters frequently involve the intersection of criminal investigations and civil litigation. She has significant courtroom experience, including trials in state and federal courts and arbitrations in AAA and other forums.
Ms. Jones represents businesses and individuals facing investigation by federal and state law enforcement authorities and government agencies. Ms. Jones also represents businesses and individuals who have been victims of crimes, or who are investigating potential crimes against them. For example, she has:
Ms. Jones also represents businesses and individuals in civil lawsuits involving allegations of bad faith, fraud and defamation. For example, she has:
- represented the owner of a manufacturing company in a federal criminal investigation of alleged disadvantaged business enterprise fraud
- counseled companies contracting with government agencies on compliance issues, with particular emphasis on anti-fraud and anti-bribery measures
- conducted internal investigations of rogue medical professionals for health care providers
- conducted internal investigations for companies regarding alleged fraudulent billings
- represented individuals and entities in federal and state grand jury investigations
- represented individuals and entities being investigated by the IRS for criminal tax fraud
- assisted universities with sexual assault investigations and Title IX compliance
- represented companies and individuals who were victims of crimes, including victims of Ponzi schemes, embezzlements, and other frauds.
Ms. Jones is the co-author of:
- obtained a temporary restraining order on behalf of a financial institution to halt violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act by an employee
- successfully arbitrated fraud, business disparagement and tortious interference claims against a manufacturer of safety valves and obtained a de minimis judgment in the face of a $40 million claim
- obtained summary judgment on plaintiffs’ bad faith claims and secured complete victories for the insurers in numerous cases, including Allstate Insurance Company v. Vargas, Crawford v. Allstate Insurance Company and Thomer v. Allstate Insurance Company
- represented a major television network, its local affiliate and its sportscaster in a defamation action brought by a popular local sports star; obtaining a grant of summary judgment in favor of the media law defendants on all of plaintiff’s claims; and successfully defended the grant of summary judgment on appeal, resulting in a published opinion from the Pennsylvania Superior Court addressing important libel law issues
- represented one of the world’s largest multimedia retailers in a civil action brought by the U.S. Department of Justice alleging that the retailer made false and deceptive advertising claims in violation of the FTC Act on live television programs.
Ms. Jones is a member of the Steering Committee, American Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Division, White Collar Crime Section, Philadelphia Chapter. She also serves on the steering committee of the Philadelphia Women’s White Collar Defense Association.
- “Is Your DBE Performing a Commercially Useful Function? Enforcement Trends I DBE Fraud Cases” (co-author), Construction Today Magazine (November 2012)
- “Supreme Court Delves Into Uncertainties Surrounding the Honest Services Fraud Statute,” published in the October 23, 2009 edition of BNA’s White Collar Crime Reporter
- “Prosecution of Private Corporate Conduct: The Uncertainty Surrounding Honest Services Fraud,” published in the January/February 2009 edition of the American Bar Association’s Business Law Today.
Before joining Pepper in 2007, Ms. Jones was an associate in the white collar and securities litigation department at Dechert LLP.
Ms. Jones is a member of the Pennsylvania and New Jersey bars, and she is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania, and the District of New Jersey.