Sharon R. Klein
Sharon R. Klein is a partner in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP. Ms. Klein is the partner in charge of the firm’s Orange County office and chair of the Privacy, Security and Data Protection practice. She handles a variety of corporate and intellectual property matters, in particular, helping information technology and telemedicine clients grow and succeed.
Ms. Klein’s practice includes assisting domestic and international clients in:
Ms. Klein is a frequent lecturer on topics of privacy, security, commercial and intellectual property topics. Some of her recent presentations and articles include:
- providing advice to financial institutions regarding consumer protection and data security and privacy issues
- providing advice to an emerging company regarding online gambling
- data breaches at financial institutions, including a detailed multi-state analysis of whether a technical breach occurred
- providing privacy policies and standard operating procedures
- providing advice to financial services companies regarding outsourcing of business processes and IT infrastructure agreements and related service levels
- commercializing technology innovations
- structuring strategic alliances, mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures
- structuring e-commerce arrangements, including Web development and hosting agreements
- negotiating agreements for the licensing, maintenance and support, and acquisition of computer hardware, software, databases, telecommunications and networking
- completing outsourcing transactions for global desktop management, information systems departments and business processes, including service level agreements (SLAs)
- handling corporate restructuring, confidentiality, information services and intellectual property matters
- managing privacy and security issues, including HIPAA, CAN SPAM and EU Data Protection.
In addition to practicing with private law firms, Ms. Klein was a member of the executive management team at Shared Medical Systems Corporation, which is now Siemens Medical Solutions Health Services Corporation.
- “Delaware Laws on Proper Destruction of Personal Identifying Information Take Effect in January” (co-author), Pepper Hamilton LLP Client Alert (October 3, 2014)
- “Telemedicine and Mobile Health Innovations Amid Increasing Regulatory Oversight” (co-author), Westlaw Journal (June 19, 2014)
- “2014 Verizon Report Offers Advice for Combatting Nine Common Threats to Cybersecurity” (co-author), Pepper Hamilton LLP Client Alert (May 13, 2014)
- “Ignoring XP End of Life May Make Your Company an Attractive Target” (co-author), Pepper Hamilton LLP Client Alert (May 13, 2014)
- “Cybersecurity: Could It Be Your Next Fiduciary Duty?” (co-author), Middle Market Growth (May 2014)
- “SEC Issues Cybersecurity Initiative Risk Alert” (co-author), Pepper Hamilton LLP Client Alert (April 28, 2014)
- “New Jersey Federal Court Upholds the FTC’s Authority to Regulate Data Security” (co-author), Pepper Hamilton LLP Privacy and Security Client Alert (April 9, 2014)
- “When Is an iPad More than an iPad? When It Is an FDA Regulated Medical Device” (co-author), Pepper Hamilton LLP Client Alert (March 7, 2014)
- “California Replaces its Limited Liability Company Act,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Client Alert (February 28, 2014)
- “Privacy and Data Security for Life Sciences and Health Care Companies,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Health Care-Life Sciences webinar
- “BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)… *Liability and Data Breach Sold Separately,” Pepper Hamilton LLP webinar
- “Are You Ready for an OCR Audit?,” Electronic Healthcare Accreditation Commission (EHNAC) webinar
- “Cross-Border Data Privacy and Security Best Practices,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Indian webinar series
- “Health Care Privacy and Security After HITECH Part II: Proposed Changes to HIPAA Administrative Simplification Rules” Health Care Legal Issues for 2010 and Beyond, Pepper Hamilton LLP webinar series
- “Health Care Privacy and Security After HITECH” Health Care Legal Issues for 2010 and Beyond, Pepper Hamilton LLP webinar series
- “Final Breach Notifications Provisions of the HITECH Act – The Compliance Countdown Begins!” Pepper Hamilton LLP webinar
- “HITECH Act & New Breach Notification Requirements” webcast presented by Iatric Systems, Inc.
- “HITECH Act: Health Information Technology, Privacy and Security and Employee Benefits” American Recovery and Reinvestment Act: Implications and Next Steps webinar series
- “The Practical Aspects of E-Discovery” Pepper Hamilton LLP webinar
- “The FDA Gets Social: Interpreting Its Draft Social Media Guidance” (co-author), Pepper Hamilton LLP Client Alert, January 27, 2014
- “Medical Identity Theft: New Recommendations by the California Attorney General to Health Care Organizations for Keeping Medical Records Healthy and Thriving” (co-author), Pepper Hamilton LLP Client Alert, November 21, 2013
- “California Privacy Initiatives To Go into Effect January 1, 2014 – Are You Ready?” (co-author), Pepper Hamilton LLP Client Alert, November 19, 2013
- “Ethical Issues that Arise from Social Media Use in Courtooms” (co-author), New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, October 2013
- “FTC Recommends Framework for Mobile Privacy” (co-author), Pepper Hamilton LLP Client Alert, February 25, 2013
- “Class Actions Adding to the Cost of Data Breaches” (co-author), Pepper Hamilton LLP Client Alert, October 24, 2012.
Ms. Klein is a commissioner of the Electronic Healthcare Network Accreditation Commission (EHNAC), a voluntary, self-governing standards development organization established to develop standard criteria and accredit organizations that electronically exchange health care data.
Ms. Klein is an active member of HIMSS (Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society) and writes and speaks frequently on issues such as licensing, privacy security, confidentiality, telemedicine, outcomes/disease management and managed care. She is a board member of the Privacy and Security Law Journal.
B.A. 1975, summa cum laude, Syracuse University; Phi Beta Kappa
J.D. 1978, Temple University School of Law; executive editor, Temple Law Review; member, Moot Court
1978-80 Law Clerk to Honorable J. William Ditter, Jr., U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Admitted in California and Pennsylvania