Sharon R. Klein
Sharon R. Klein is a partner in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP. Ms. Klein is the partner in charge of the firm’s Orange County office and chair of the Privacy, Security and Data Protection practice. She handles a variety of corporate and intellectual property matters, in particular, helping information technology and telemedicine clients grow and succeed.
Ms. Klein’s practice includes assisting domestic and international clients in:
Ms. Klein’s speaking engagements include:
- providing advice to financial institutions regarding consumer protection and data security and privacy issues
- providing advice to an emerging company regarding online gambling
- data breaches at financial institutions, including a detailed multi-state analysis of whether a technical breach occurred
- providing privacy policies and standard operating procedures
- providing advice to financial services companies regarding outsourcing of business processes and IT infrastructure agreements and related service levels
- commercializing technology innovations
- structuring strategic alliances, mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures
- structuring e-commerce arrangements, including Web development and hosting agreements
- negotiating agreements for the licensing, maintenance and support, and acquisition of computer hardware, software, databases, telecommunications and networking
- completing outsourcing transactions for global desktop management, information systems departments and business processes, including service level agreements (SLAs)
- handling corporate restructuring, confidentiality, information services and intellectual property matters
- managing privacy and security issues, including HIPAA, CAN SPAM and EU Data Protection.
In addition to practicing with private law firms, Ms. Klein was a member of the executive management team at Shared Medical Systems Corporation, which is now Siemens Medical Solutions Health Services Corporation.
- “Cross-Border Data Privacy and Security Best Practices,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Indian webinar series
- “Health Care Privacy and Security After HITECH Part II: Proposed Changes to HIPAA Administrative Simplification Rules” Health Care Legal Issues for 2010 and Beyond, Pepper Hamilton LLP webinar series
- “Health Care Privacy and Security After HITECH” Health Care Legal Issues for 2010 and Beyond, Pepper Hamilton LLP webinar series
- “Final Breach Notifications Provisions of the HITECH Act – The Compliance Countdown Begins!” Pepper Hamilton LLP webinar
- “HITECH Act & New Breach Notification Requirements” webcast presented by Iatric Systems, Inc.
- “HITECH Act: Health Information Technology, Privacy and Security and Employee Benefits” American Recovery and Reinvestment Act: Implications and Next Steps webinar series
- “The Practical Aspects of E-Discovery” Pepper Hamilton LLP webinar.
Ms. Klein is a commissioner of the Electronic Healthcare Network Accreditation Commission (EHNAC), a voluntary, self-governing standards development organization established to develop standard criteria and accredit organizations that electronically exchange health care data.
Ms. Klein is an active member of HIMSS (Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society) and writes and speaks frequently on issues such as licensing, privacy security, confidentiality, telemedicine, outcomes/disease management and managed care. She is a board member of the Privacy and Security Law Journal.
B.A. 1975, summa cum laude, Syracuse University
J.D. 1978, Temple University School of Law; executive editor, Temple Law Review; member, Moot Court
1978-80 Law Clerk to Honorable J. William Ditter, Jr., U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Admitted in California and Pennsylvania