Frank P. Spada, Jr. is a partner with Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Princeton office. He represents management in all areas of employment law and labor relations and has been doing so since 1986.
Mr. Spada’s practice includes counseling clients on human resource issues, including discipline, hiring, firing and better productivity through employee relations. He also advises clients regularly on the FLSA and state wage and hour issues and the development and enforcement of confidentiality, non-competition, severance and release agreements.
He has handled numerous cases through trial and appeal concerning employment contracts and FLSA issues and in the discrimination area, including race, sex, age, disability and religious discrimination matters. He represents employers before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights, the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission and other state agencies throughout the country. He also has handled many matters in the enforcement or defense of non-competition/non-solicitation/non-disclosure clauses in many states, including New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
In the labor law area, Mr. Spada assists management in dealing with unions in collective bargaining negotiations, arbitrations, unfair labor practice proceedings, mass picketing and other injunction actions, union elections and de-certifications in the public and private sectors.
Mr. Spada represents employers ranging from small businesses to large corporations with multiple facilities and spanning a number of industries, including trucking, construction, manufacturing, graphics, computer, restaurant, clothing and health care.
Mr. Spada has been certified by the New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators and is a New Jersey Superior Court Rule 1:40 qualified mediator included on the roster of court-approved mediators.
Mr. Spada has presented many seminars in a number of employment areas, including hiring and firing, sexual harassment, age discrimination, disability discrimination, diversity in the workplace, union avoidance, workplace investigations and exempt/non-exempt classifications under the Fair Labor Standards Act. His speaking engagements include:
Mr. Spada’s publications include:
- “Hot Topics in Employment Law,” Human Resources Management Association (January 30, 2013 and January 27, 2012)
- “Medical Marijuana in the Workplace,” Dom Giordano Show, CBS Philly Radio (January 25, 2012)
- “Made in Pennsylvania: Manufacturing Your Future/Manufacturing and Wholesale Distribution Industry Summit,” 2011 McGladrey Manufacturing and Distribution Executive Summits (September 14, 2011).
Mr. Spada is admitted to practice in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, as well as the U.S. District Courts for the District of New Jersey and the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- “NLRB Focuses on Employers’ Internal Investigations,” The HR Specialist (November 2012)
- “NLRB Clamps Down on Internal Investigation Confidentiality,” Business Management Daily (November 2, 2012)
- “Medical Marijuana in Pennsylvania,” The HR Specialist (March 2012)
- “Medical Marijuana and the N.J. Workplace,” New Jersey Law Journal (November 7, 2011)
- “Employers Should Beware of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act When Administering the FMLA,” The HR Specialist (March 2011).