Jonathan A. Clark is co-chair of Pepper Hamilton LLP’s Employee Benefits Practice Group. Immediately before joining the firm, Mr. Clark served as general counsel and in a variety of human resources, business development and strategy positions for a start-up business-to-business Internet-based company providing disposition chain management solutions for the industrial assets of Fortune 500 companies. This experience has given him the client’s perspective and an understanding of corporate business issues.
Mr. Clark is experienced in a variety of employee benefits, executive compensation and related securities law matters, including:
Mr. Clark’s recent projects include:
- benefits and compensation issues arising during transactions, including plan asset transfers, management investment in leveraged buyouts, ESOPs and other employee ownership vehicles
- equity-based compensation arrangements for directors and executives, including stock option, restricted stock and phantom stock programs
- design, implementation, operation, communication and termination of qualified retirement plans.
- counseling and advice to boards of directors and executives in a range of change in control, stay bonus, severance and transaction bonus programs in public and private companies, and related analyses of the application of securities law rules, listing requirements, golden parachute and million dollar cap rules
- “full service” benefits and executive compensation legal representation to public and private employers; including design and administration of qualified retirement plans, health and welfare programs, equity-based and incentive compensation, employment and non-competition agreements
- Section 16(b) compliance advice to a Nasdaq company in the adoption of a 401(k) plan that offered employer securities to participating employees.
Mr. Clark is listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and The Best Lawyers in America and was selected for inclusion on the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Top 100 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers lists for 2013.
From 1996 to 1999, Mr. Clark was an associate in the benefits and compensation practice group of another major Philadelphia law firm. He has been an adjunct professor in the graduate tax program at Temple University Law School since 1998.