Matthew J. Swett is a partner in the Philadelphia office of Pepper Hamilton LLP and chair of the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group, where he handles a variety of real estate matters and other business transactions. He also is a member of the firm’s Sustainability, CleanTech and Climate Change Team.
Mr. Swett concentrates his practice in the acquisition, sale, development, leasing and financing of commercial real estate properties, representing real estate investment managers, entrepreneurial developers and national retailers.
Among other clients, Mr. Swett represents private real estate investment management funds. Over the last few years, he has assisted these real estate investment funds in connection with their acquisition, development, financing (construction and permanent) and sale of millions of square feet of office space, industrial and warehouse space as well as multi-family projects. In addition, he has represented these funds in connection with the acquisition and development of numerous projects consisting of hundreds of acres in the Mid-Atlantic states slated for building rehabilitation, as well as build-to-suit and speculative development of office, industrial and multi-family facilities. Many of the development projects Mr. Swett has handled are brownfield redevelopment projects or are designed to obtain LEED Certification. Mr. Swett has also represented the funds in connection with joint venture transactions.
Mr. Swett also represents national retailers in connection with acquisition and leasing of retail sites, the expansion and relocation of existing retail locations, office space and build-to-suit distribution centers. This work includes the negotiation of related development agreements as well as agreements for easements, covenants and restrictions.
In addition, Mr. Swett has represented manufacturers in connection with build to suit leases for manufacturing, warehousing and office facilities. He has represented numerous companies in diverse industries such as retail, technology, medical and pharmaceutical in connection with build to suit office buildings and corporate expansions, consolidations, relocations and corporate headquarters leases.
Recent representative transactions include:
- the acquisition of 15 acres for a new retail store location for a major national retailer together with joint development agreement and agreements for easements, covenants restrictions
- an amendment of building lease for major national retailer to provide for significant store expansion together with development agreement for land acquisition
- a 220,000-square-foot office building lease involving a major defense contractor to occupy one and one-half newly constructed and to be constructed LEED certified buildings
- a 80,000-square-foot lease and sublease for headquarters, lab and warehouse space for a company in the field of regenerative medicine
- a 78,000-square-foot headquarters lease for pharmaceutical industry company
- a 70,000-square-foot corporate headquarters lease for technology company
- a 16,000-square-foot headquarters and lab space lease for pharmaceutical industry company
- a build-to-suit lease for a 128,000-square-foot medical office building and ambulatory surgical center
- a 400,000 square-foot build-to-suit warehouse for national clothing retailer
- a 74,000 square-foot headquarters building lease for national clothing retailer
- a 268,000-square-foot industrial lease for warehouse and distribution facility
- a 500,000-square-foot industrial lease for warehouse and distribution facility to pharmaceutical industry company
- a lease termination agreement for 40,500-square-foot-headquarters office lease
- the sale of a pharmaceutical industry headquarters building
- a sale of headquarters and distribution center for national retailer
- a $60 million permanent loan and $20 million mezzanine loan for office building portfolio
- a $35 million mezzanine loan in connection with the acquisition of a multifamily portfolio worth over $300 million
- a $22.5 million interim/construction loan for refinance of a 354,000-square-foot industrial building and construction of second 300,000-square-foot industrial building
- a $35 million construction loan for 200,000-square-foot office building
- a $16.6 million construction loan for 87,000-square-foot office building
- deed in lieu of foreclosure transactions representing borrowers in foreclosure.
Mr. Swett was selected for inclusion on the 2014 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list.
Before joining Pepper, Mr. Swett was an associate with Adelman Lavine Gold and Levin, P.C., where, in addition to real estate clients, he represented debtors and creditors in a variety of business bankruptcy proceedings. He is a member of the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and American Bar Associations.