Christopher J. Moran
Christopher J. Moran is a partner within the Labor and Employment Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Philadelphia office.
Mr. Moran frequently handles cases involving the ADA, FMLA, Title VII, Section 1981, the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act, the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, and many other federal and state employment laws. He defends employers in wage and hour actions under the FLSA and state law. He also advises employers concerning trade secrets and restrictive covenants, the negotiation of executive employment agreements, and the employment matters connected with corporate mergers and acquisitions.
Matters of Mr. Moran’s practice include the representation of:
Mr. Moran’s speaking engagements include:
- a large health care employer in obtaining dismissal of class and collective actions alleging violations of FLSA and state wage and hour laws
- a transportation company in obtaining dismissal of putative collective action alleging violations of FLSA
- a Fortune 300 consumer products company in obtaining summary judgment of claims for race discrimination and retaliation under federal law, and dismissal with prejudice of related state law claims
- a professional services employer in obtaining summary judgment of age and disability discrimination and retaliation claims under state and federal law
- a pharmaceutical employer in obtaining summary judgment of race discrimination, retaliation and wage claims under federal and state law
- a manufacturing employer in successfully opposing a lawsuit alleging that the company’s president had violated restrictive covenants with a prior employer/competitor
- a university client in obtaining dismissal with prejudice of discrimination claims
- a national consulting firm in the negotiation of numerous executive employment and severance agreements
- a major hotel in the successful arbitration of a dispute involving the discharge of a bargaining unit employee for exceeding allowable leave entitlement
- a national service employer in the successful arbitration of a dispute involving the discharge of a bargaining unit employee for dishonesty
- a consumer products company in the successful resolution of class actions alleging violations of federal law.
- “10 Ways to Improve Your Employment and Severance Agreements,” Interactive HR Workshop, Harrisburg, PA (September 2011)
- “Downsizing in Difficult Times,” Mid-Atlantic Employer Association, Annual Conference, Whitemarsh, PA (November 2009)
- “Conducting Successful Workplace Investigations,” Workplace Strategies Seminar, New Orleans, LA (May 2008)
- “The New E-Discovery Rules: Complying With Them and Using Them to Your Client’s Advantage,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute 2007 Employment Law Seminar, Philadelphia, PA (April 2007)
- “Making the Best of What’s Left Behind: Effective Use of Computer Forensics in Employment Cases,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute 2004 Employment Law Seminar, Philadelphia, PA (April 2004)
- “Constructive Discharge: Employees Who Couldn’t Wait to Be Fired,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute 2002 Employment Law Seminar, Philadelphia, PA (April 2002).
Mr. Moran is listed in The Best Lawyers in America.
Prior to joining Pepper, Mr. Moran managed the Philadelphia office of a national labor and employment law firm. He first became involved in the area of employment and labor law as a consultant representing employers in the negotiation and administration of collective bargaining agreements, and the resolution of employee grievances. He also chaired joint labor-management committees for regional and nationwide employer associations.
B.S. 1983 St. Joseph's University
J.D. 1992, magna cum laude, Villanova University School of Law; editor-in-chief, Villanova Law Review; member, Order of the Coif
1992-1993 Law Clerk to Hon. Collins J. Seitz, U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit (Philadelphia, PA)
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey