Franklin B. Holland is of counsel in the Intellectual Property Transactions and Rights Management Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, concentrating in business transactions involving intellectual property. He has been involved in a wide range of corporate and individual business representations, including technology licensing and transfers, public and private securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, corporate governance, U.S. and foreign joint ventures, and general counseling of corporations and their officers, directors and owners.
Many of Mr. Holland’s client engagements have involved acquisitions and investments in the United States on behalf of foreign corporations and investment groups, primarily Canadian and Western European, and related strategic planning and implementation.
Transactions which reflect the range of his practice experience are:
- general representation of a significant privately-owned food and beverage manufacturer and its owners, including mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, corporate succession planning, contract, real estate and tax
- sale of a 50 percent interest in a large family-owned natural resource company
- counsel to a charitable foundation in the health care sector, including nonprofit corporate law, internal governance, tax and litigation
- acquisition of patent applications for a cancer vaccine in development and creation of an ownership and licensing structure
- counsel to a privately held trust company which is the trustee of a group of charitable trusts which collectively comprise one of the largest charitable foundations in the United States
- registered secondary offerings by a group of charitable foundations leading to the disposition of more than $1 billion in stock of largest U.S. independent oil and gas producer
- intellectual property aspects of the acquisition by a major European manufacturer of all assets and operations of a division of an American competitor, creating the world’s second largest elevator and escalator company, and creation of an intercompany licensing structure among the buyer and its subsidiaries.
Mr. Holland is a graduate of Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts and the University of Pennsylvania (B.A. 1968). After service in the U.S. Army in Vietnam during 1969 and 1970, he obtained his law degree from the University of Texas and joined Pepper Hamilton in 1973.