Benjamin Mittman is an associate in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Philadelphia office. Mr. Mittman concentrates his practice in mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate finance transactions. He has extensive experience in representing private equity funds, investment banks, financial institutions, entrepreneurs and companies in a variety of industries, including financial services, real estate, insurance, education, software, Internet, tobacco and communications. He also counsels corporate clients, senior management and boards of directors on corporate governance, internal investigations and transactional matters.
Mr. Mittman has represented:
- a consortium of private investment companies led by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., Goldman Sachs and Five Mile Capital in its acquisition of GMAC Commercial Holding Corp., a wholly owned indirect subsidiary of General Motors, for approximately $8.8 billion, including cash and the assumption of approximately $7.3 billion of intercompany debt
- a national bank and investment advisor in the purchase by two of its buyout funds of approximately $45 million in limited partnership interests held by various entities affiliated with a leading international insurance organization
- a private equity investment firm in the sale of a New York City-based proprietary technical college
- a publicly traded holding company which owns and operates insurance companies, risk bearing entities and insurance underwriters and managers, in a Rule 144A private placement of $100 million of senior notes
- a Fortune 500 global financial security company that specializes in life and long term care insurance, wealth management and mortgage insurance in its acquisition of a broker-dealer, insurance brokerage and asset management company
- one of the largest manufacturers and distributors of residential windows and patio doors in the United States in connection with a corporate restructuring
- a communications tower company in raising approximately $180 million in equity capital from various private equity firms
- a worldwide audio guiding business to museums, visitor centers and tourist attractions in its acquisition by a competitor
- a health insurance provider in its acquisition by two private equity investment funds
- a leading cigarette manufacturer in connection with the structuring and implementation of an innovative loyalty program for adult consumers of tobacco products
- a leading asset manager for insurance company investment portfolios in its acquisition by one of the world's largest reinsurers.
Prior to joining Pepper, Mr. Mittman served as senior vice president, senior counsel of Capmark Financial Group Inc., an international commercial real estate finance company operating in North America, Asia and Europe.
Mr. Mittman started his legal career as an associate counsel to the Hon. Sheldon Silver, speaker of the New York State Assembly.
Mr. Mittman received his B.A. degree, with high honors, in history and political science from the State University of New York at Binghamton, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his J.D. degree from Georgetown University Law Center.