Robert P. Duffield, II
Robert P. Duffield, II is an associate in the Health Effects Litigation Practice Group with Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Philadelphia office. Mr. Duffield provides litigation and regulatory counseling to pharmaceutical manufacturers, medical device manufacturers and health care services companies. Representative engagements in which Mr. Duffield has been involved include:
Mr. Duffield also is active in pro bono matters. Since 2011, he has served as chair of the firm’s Pro Bono Landlord/Tenant Program, which represents tenants who meet established poverty guidelines in landlord-tenant disputes. He also has represented developmentally disabled residents in a successful suit against the State of New Jersey for provision of housing in the community in lieu of mass institutionalization.
- defending pharmaceutical manufacturers against personal injury and wrongful death product liability claims, including class actions and multidistrict litigation
- counseling pharmaceutical clients in connection with government investigations into regulatory compliance, promotional activities, and managed markets contracting practices
- representing pharmaceutical companies in state Attorney General actions alleging unfair trade practices and violations of state Medicaid False Claims Acts
- representing pharmaceutical manufacturers in defending qui tam actions brought to recover damages under the False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute
- conducting internal investigations for corporate clients to ascertain level of compliance with external regulations and internal policies and procedures
- representing a major pharmacy and health care services company in connection with a government investigation into its promotional activities
- advising clients on trends in document retention and production, including counseling on e discovery and the impact of electronic health records
- representing industry clients challenging the use of outside contingency fee counsel by state Attorneys General in quasi-enforcement and civil penalties actions
- defending manufacturing clients in product liability class actions, including post-trial motion practice and claims proceedings.
Prior to joining Pepper, Mr. Duffield was an associate at Ballard Spahr LLP, where he specialized in a variety of complex civil litigation matters, including product liability and class action disputes.
Mr. Duffield received his J.D. from Rutgers University School of Law in 2007 where he received highest honors and graduated first in his class. He was editor of the Rutgers Law Journal, recipient of the Rutgers Pro Bono Service Award and recipient of the Judge James Hunter III Moot Court Competition Award for Top Brief and Excellence in Oral Advocacy. Mr. Duffield also interned for the Hon. Ann Marie Donio (Mag. D.N.J.). He received his B.S. cum laude in 2004 from University of Maryland.
B.S. 2004, cum laude, University of Maryland
J.D. 2007, summa cum laude, Rutgers University School of Law; editor, Rutgers Law Journal
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey