Norman B. Berlin
Norman B. Berlin is a partner with Pepper Hamilton LLP and past co-chair of the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group. He also is a member of the Sustainability, CleanTech and Climate Change Team.
Mr. Berlin devotes his practice primarily to the acquisition, financing (debt and equity), development, leasing and disposition of office, commercial, retail, residential and industrial real estate.
Mr. Berlin represents developers in institutional, public and private financing of real estate acquisition and development; organization and financing of partnerships, limited partnerships and joint ventures; environmental aspects of commercial transactions; and leasing of mixed-use office, commercial and retail developments, including corporate headquarters offices for specialized use such as research and development.
Mr. Berlin represents companies in the development, financing (including governmental incentives) and leasing of manufacturing, warehouse and distribution facilities. He spends considerable time working with companies as lead outside legal counsel for their on going real estate acquisition and divestiture programs.
Representative engagements and transactions include:
Mr. Berlin has spoken about real estate, corporate transactions and environmental law, and has written about real estate and bankruptcy.
- development and financing (debt and equity joint venture) of 2,000,000+ square foot office park in Suburban Philadelphia area
- development of regional shopping center, including big box retail anchor
- real estate counsel to a major private real estate developer in the development, leasing, sale and financing of a 2.5 million to 3 million square-foot mixed-use development (commercial, office, big box retail and pad site retail)
- development and financing (debt and equity joint venture) of multi-phase apartment projects, including joint venture arrangements with institutional equity partners, in Suburban Philadelphia area
- real estate counsel to international manufacturing company for plant sales in Eastern United States
- sale of pharmaceutical manufacturing plant for international pharmaceutical company
- representation of national retailer in site procurement and development of big box retail sites
- ground lease and space lease and sale transactions with major national retailers for anchor stores at shopping center and commercial parks
- regional real estate counsel for international technology company, handling real estate matters in the Mid-Atlantic and Southern Regions — participated in sales, acquisitions, development leases and leasing transactions for an aggregate of over 6 million square feet of space, including office, warehouse/distribution and manufacturing facilities in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Tennessee, Virginia and New York
- ground lease and sale transactions with major restaurant chains for pad sites at shopping centers and commercial parks
- development of cold storage warehouse facility for major food producer
- representation of real estate brokers in Philadelphia and Washington area and in Southern California, including negotiation of brokerage agreements for sale of real estate assets of bankrupt freight transport company
- representation of national freight transport company in disposition program for excess truck terminal assets
- acquisition, leasing and sale of truck terminal facilities in California, Nevada, Michigan and Texas
- negotiation of sale, lease and development agreements with national big box retailers, national restaurants and financial institutions
- real estate counsel to a major private developer in the joint venture development with major institutional investors of multi-phase office and residential projects
- negotiation of joint venture, partnership, debt and equity financing, and development agreements with national insurance company, pension fund and public investment fund investors
- negotiation of build-to-suit leases, development arrangements and work letters; assist in procurement of incentives with state and local government, and in coordination and management of local counsel in dealing with local issues
- counsel to manufacturing companies in manufacturing/warehouse transactions involving arrangements with logistics companies, and sale and lease back arrangements
- real estate counsel to a farming company as seller of a 9,600-acre farm in New Jersey to a nonprofit conservation foundation
- real estate counsel to a brokerage company in master brokerage agreement for sale of real estate assets of a major logistics company out of bankruptcy
- real estate counsel to a public real estate investment trust and a national insurance company in the master leasing of roof-top space to communication companies
- negotiation of master development agreements with counties and cities, and agreements relating to establishment of tax increment financing districts
- real estate counsel to the former Bethlehem Steel Corporation in the initial development of Bethlehem Works, a planned mixed-use development (Bethlehem, PA)
- real estate counsel to the former Bethlehem Steel Corporation in the initial development of Bethlehem Commerce Center, a planned industrial development (Bethlehem, PA)
- Pennsylvania counsel to the former Bethlehem Steel Corporation in the divestiture of a substantial portion of the assets of its former Bar, Rod and Wire Division, Freight Car Division, Wire Rope Division, Hanover and Millard limestone quarries, and Panther Valley Division (anthracite coal mines); handled post divestiture matters and leasing matters
- development of 600,000-square-foot regional headquarters for a New York Stock Exchange technology company
- representation of anchor tenants for office leases of 250,000 square feet, 100,000 square feet and 50,000 square feet for major center city and downtown office buildings, including interim relocation and renovation/construction agreements (Philadelphia, PA, and Washington, D.C.)
- representation of anchor tenants in negotiation and documentation of agreements with construction professionals (project manager, architect, construction manager) for anchor office spaces, including participation in construction administration
- representation of manufacturing companies as tenants in the build-to-suit, lease/purchase option of 1 million-square-foot distribution center (Harrisburg, PA area) and 150,000-square-foot distribution center (Nashville, TN)
- representation of developer in 200,000-square-foot build-to-suit lease/purchase options with international pharmaceutical company for light industrial and office buildings (Lancaster, PA)
- representation of developer in sale/leaseback program for office buildings with institutional tenants
- representation of national, publicly owned developer of three interlocking buildings for a major 600,000 plus square-foot suburban office complex
- representation of syndicator in the acquisition, development and syndication of apartment buildings, shopping centers and office buildings
- representation of joint venture member of owner and developer in the joint venture development of a golf club residential community (Naples, FL) and planned golf club development (York, PA)
- representation of debtor-in-possession, Swann Oil Company, in bankruptcy sales of assets of oil distribution and terminal company
- representation of acquirer of developmental properties in the settlement of estate of major Philadelphia-area developer
- representation of owner-developer in site acquisition and joint venture financing for land assemblies (Washington, D.C. and Denver, CO)
- administration of subleasing program for 75,000 square feet of office space (Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles, CA)
- stock sale of $500 million aluminum manufacturing company with plants in six states
- recapitalization of oil and gas company, including establishment of working capital financing and restructuring of common stock, preferred stock, senior debentures and warrants.
Mr. Berlin is a member of the bars of Pennsylvania, Maryland and the District of Columbia.
B.A. 1976, with honors, University of Virginia
J.D. 1979 Harvard Law School
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, Maryland and District of Columbia