Joan C. Arnold
Joan C. Arnold is a partner in the Philadelphia office of Pepper Hamilton LLP and head of the firm’s Tax Group. She focuses her practice on U.S. corporate tax and international tax issues, and she is a Regent of the American College of Tax Counsel.
Ms. Arnold is the secretary and treasurer of the American College of Tax Counsel, and a director of the Council of the Tax Section of the American Bar Association, where she oversees the international committees. She also is vice president and a member of the executive committee of the U.S. Branch of the International Fiscal Association.
In Philadelphia, Ms. Arnold is president of the Philadelphia Tax Conference. In Washington D.C., she is on the executive committee of the George Washington/IRS Annual International Tax Institute.
Ms. Arnold is listed in The Best Lawyers in America and was named the Philadelphia Best Lawyers Tax Lawyer of the Year for 2010. She was selected for inclusion on the 2013 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list and also is listed in The International Who’s Who of Corporate Tax Lawyers, The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal International – Corporate Tax 2012.
Ms. Arnold is a frequent speaker at tax conferences. Her recent speaking engagements include:
- “FATCA Overview for Non-U.S. Banks with U.S. Branches” Institute of International Bankers Phone Conference (April 30, 2013)
- “Issues in International Joint Venture and Partnership Planning: Does Check the Box Cure All Ills?” Tax Executives Institutes, Partnership Taxation: Fundamental Issues and Critical Considerations, San Diego, CA (February 21, 2013)
- “Inbound Mergers and Acquisitions: Recent Trends and Considerations,” American Bar Association’s Section of Taxation 2013 Midyear Meeting, Orlando, FL (January 25, 2013)
- “Mobile Executives: Crossing the Border and Creating Jurisdiction to Tax,” The George Washington University Law School/IRS, 25th Annual Institute on Current Issues In International Taxation, Washington, DC (December 7, 2012)
- “Tax Strategies – 2012 Cross-Border Acquisitions,” Practicing Law Institute’s Tax Strategies for Corporate Acquisitions, Dispositions, Spin-Offs, Joint Ventures, Financings, Reorganizations & Restructurings 2012, Chicago, IL (November 7, 2012)
- “Tax Strategies – 2012 Cross-Border Acquisitions,” Practicing Law Institute’s Tax Strategies for Corporate Acquisitions, Dispositions, Spin-Offs, Joint Ventures, Financings, Reorganizations & Restructurings 2012, New York, NY (October 11, 2012)
- “Update: Foreign Persons Investing in the U.S. through Funds,” American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, U.S. Activities of Foreigners and Tax Treaties, American Bar Association’s 2012 Joint Fall CLE Meeting, Boston, MA (September 14, 2012)
- “FATCA: What it Means to Latin American Investors,” 5th Annual U.S. – Latin America Tax Planning Strategies, Miami, FL (June 13, 2012)
- “International Joint Venture Issues-Outbound and Inbound General Joint Venture Tax Issues and Check-The-Box Planning,” PLI Tax Planning for Domestic and Foreign Partnerships, LLCs, Joint Ventures and Other Strategic Alliances 2012, Chicago, IL (May 12, 2012)
- “The Far Reaching Impact of FATCA Across Borders and Across Industries,” American Bar Association Tax Section 2012 Midyear Meeting, New Orleans, LA (February 18, 2012)
- “Partner vs. Partnership: What Matters in the International Context,” GW/IRS 24th International Tax Institute, Washington, DC (December 16, 2011)
- “FATCA: Its Impact on the Private Equity Industry,” Private Equity Tax Presentation, SJ Berwin, London, England (December 6, 2011)
- “Going International Doing Business in China and India – Tax Issues When Expanding Into India and China,” 22nd Annual Philadelphia Tax Conference, Philadelphia, PA (November 17, 2011)
- “Corporate Tax Update,” Heart of America Tax Institute, Kansas City, MO (November 3, 2011)
- “FATCA Issues for U.S. Companies, FBAR Issues for U.S. Companies and Employees,” Tax Executives Institute National Conference, San Francisco, CA (November 1, 2011)
- “The Foreign Account Compliance Tax Act (FATCA) and Its Implementation,” IFA 2011 Joint U.S.-UK IFA Branch/CIOT Meeting, London (September 9, 2011)
- “Tax Issues for Companies at (or near) Commercialization,” 2011 ABFO National Conference, Seattle, WA (June 1, 2011)
- “Taxation of Partnerships and Joint Ventures – International Update,” PLI, Chicago, IL (May 12, 2011)
- “§956: Financing the Global Corporation,” TEI Houston Chapter 23rd Annual Tax School, Houston, TX (March 3, 2011)
- “Preparing the MNC for FATCA Compliance,” IFA USA Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA (February 25, 2011).
Before entering private practice, Ms. Arnold was vice president, associate general tax counsel for Citicorp, a full-time faculty member at Rutgers University School of Law – Camden, and a consultant in international tax to KPMG Peat Marwick in its national office.
B.A. 1975 Wagner College
J.D. 1978 Villanova University School of Law
LL.M. 1983 New York University School of Law
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and New York