Todd A. Feinsmith is a partner in the Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, and the partner in charge of the firm’s Boston office.
Mr. Feinsmith has practiced in the areas of business reorganization, workouts and debt restructuring, creditors’ rights and secured lending for 20 years. Mr. Feinsmith frequently represents secured lenders, including major financial institutions, in connection with the restructuring of complex credit facilities, including stand-alone and syndicated loan arrangements. His experience also extends to enforcing the rights and remedies of lender entities in both state and federal courts nationwide.
Additionally, Mr. Feinsmith has extensive experience representing Chapter 11 debtors, creditors’ committees, trustees, purchasers/acquirers and other parties in large, complex Chapter 11 reorganization cases across a variety of industries including aviation, retail, entertainment, telecom, high technology, manufacturing and financial services, among others. Mr. Feinsmith also represents both debtors and creditors in the structuring and negotiation of out-of-court restructurings.
Beyond his restructuring practice, Mr. Feinsmith actively counsels several clients in connection with general business matters, entrepreneurial endeavors and merger and acquisition transactions.
Mr. Feinsmith’s representative matters include:
- serving as lead counsel for the debtor in various Chapter 11 (and out-of-court) restructurings including Shuttle America Corporation, Dream Machine, Inc., Atlantic Wire Company, Gulfstream International Airlines, Asia Access Telecom and others
- representing ad hoc and official creditors’ committees and other parties in interest in significant Chapter 11 cases including United Airlines, Business Express Airlines, Global Crossing, Mike Tyson (the former world heavyweight champion) & Mike Tyson Enterprises, Dana Corp., Collins & Aikman, Spansion and many others
- serving as long time, lead counsel for Citizens Financial Group (and related affiliates) in numerous restructuring transactions involving hundreds of millions of dollars in secured debt across industry sectors such as manufacturing, aviation and logistics, auto dealership finance, retail, precious metals and real estate
- serving as lead counsel in the representation of Bank of America (and its predecessors, Fleet National Bank and Shawmut Bank N.A.) in numerous commercial, industrial and real estate workouts and debt restructurings. Additionally, at the request of Shawmut Bank, Mr. Feinsmith served as special counsel to the bank’s managed assets division in order to assist in the rehabilitation of the bank’s distressed asset portfolio.
- serving as outside general counsel to KDDI Global in connection with its business activities and litigation in both the United States and Asia.
Mr. Feinsmith lectures on various bankruptcy and restructuring topics and is a frequent contributor to the Bankruptcy Strategist and other publications. Mr. Feinsmith was named as adjunct instructor at Cornell Law School's Annual Transactional Lawyering Competition.
Before joining Pepper, Mr. Feinsmith was a partner at Brown Rudnick LLP in Boston.