Joseph C. Guagliardo is a partner in the Intellectual Property Transactions and Rights Management Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Philadelphia office. His practice focuses on intellectual property and technology transactions and general counseling of businesses and individuals with respect to legal matters involving intellectual property protection and commercialization, Internet and ecommerce, technology development and transfer, and content publishing and distribution.
Mr. Guagliardo has extensive international business and legal experience, formerly as a business executive and now in his capacity as an attorney. He has provided intellectual property and technology-related counseling to clients around the world, across many industries, and in connection with a wide variety of subject matter ranging from traditional print media to high-tech software, hardware and life sciences matters. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Guagliardo was an attorney in the intellectual property/information technology practice group of a large Philadelphia law firm. Prior to that, Mr. Guagliardo spent more than a decade working in the technology industry in various technical and business roles, including a management-level position overseeing a global team of software engineers and technology consultants and a position as director of legal affairs for an international software company.
Mr. Guagliardo’s representative matters include:
Intellectual Property/Technology Generally
Internet, E-Commerce, and Mobile Technology
- counseling concerning structure and cross license agreements to establish intellectual property holding company – represented a semiconductor company
- general counseling in connection with trademark prosecution and related trademark matters for large trademark portfolio – represented publicly traded luxury home builder
- development and license agreement for the development of solid state generator technology – represented developer and licensor
- exclusive patent license agreement relating to bioresorbable polymersomes – represented life sciences company as licensee
- license and supply agreement for the propagation of genetically “pure” cranberry vines and plants using patented propagation techniques – represented cranberry grower and licensor
- trademark license agreement for the use of trademarks owned by a major motion picture studio – represented home goods manufacturer
- counseling concerning an individual post mortem right of publicity in connection with the naming rights for a new facility – represented a professional sports team
- counseling, due diligence and negotiation of terms in connection with the sale of a software company – represented seller
- license and services agreement for the provision of software and hardware technology use for optical real-time location tracking – represented licensor
- exclusive license and supply agreement for organic fertilizer and microbe intellectual property – represented life sciences company as licensor.
Content Publishing and Distribution
- license and service agreement for video content streaming technology used in hotels – represented large cable company as licensee
- license and video content distribution agreement for distribution of video content and related technology across all dealer Web sites of a large Japanese automobile manufacturer – represented technology and content licensor
- counseling concerning social media strategies and related trademark matters – represented a professional sports team
- hosting and service level agreement for an online backup service – represented large cable company as licensee
- development and licensing agreements in connection with the worldwide implementation of an online consumer goods retail operation – represented a multinational home shopping retailer
- supply and purchase agreements for set-top boxes, modems, VoIP adapters and other digital devices used for the provision of TV, Internet, digital voice services and other digital services – represented a large, publically traded telecommunications company
- technology implementation agreement for the provision of geotagging technology in connection with mobile retail shopping – represented mobile technology licensor
- license and implementation agreement in connection with text message technology used to consummate retail purchases and confirmations – represented a multinational home shopping retailer.
- counseling and negotiating in connection with the formation and launching of Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem, LLC (a/k/a DECE and UltraViolet, http://www.uvvu.com), a consortium of major movie studios, device manufacturers and service providers supporting an ecosystem for the download and streaming distribution of movies, TV shows and other digital entertainment – represented large telecommunications company
- rights assignment and art work and video documentary purchase agreement involving copyright assets of an artist – represented assignee/buyer
- commissioned writer agreement and publisher agreement in connection with a manuscript for the historical documentation of a well-known Philadelphia concert promoter – represented concert promoter
- counseling concerning the online publishing and distribution of newspaper and yearbook archives – represented university
- counseling concerning the use of concert video and photographs in the marketing and promotion of singer-song writers and bands – represented local concert promoter.
Mr. Guagliardo is a member of the Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association, as well as the Bucks County, Pennsylvania and Philadelphia bar associations. He also frequently volunteers to review business plans of potential portfolio companies for Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Northeast Pennsylvania.
Mr. Guagliardo is co-chairman of the Board of Directors of Green Village Philadelphia, a nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the development of economically, environmentally and socially sustainable businesses.