Ellen Kittredge Scott
Ellen K. Scott is a partner in the Philadelphia office of Pepper Hamilton LLP and a member of the firm’s Health Effects Litigation Practice Group.
Ms. Scott’s practice encompasses the defense of product liability claims, complex mass torts and radiation-related litigation. She also provides related regulatory counseling and handles general commercial litigation matters.
Representative matters in which Ms. Scott has been involved include the following:
Ms. Scott has lectured on expert discovery and radiation litigation at the Harvard School of Public Health, presented radiation-related legal issues to the Health Physics Society, written on the legal uses of epidemiological studies, and written for Nuclear News and Health Physics Today. She has written chapters in texts on the use of epidemiological evidence in the courtroom and the relevance of phenotypic variation to risk assessments. In addition, she has taught continuing legal education courses on the use and exclusion of expert evidence.
- defending pharmaceutical manufacturers in litigation involving prescription and professionally labeled OTC products
- counseling pharmaceutical manufacturers regarding their clinical trial procedures and contracts, as well as labeling for cosmetics and drug products
- advising clients on corporate due diligence for mergers, acquisitions and other transactions involving life sciences businesses
- defending personal injury claims arising out of the clean up of a radiation contaminated Superfund site
- defending product liability actions against alleged product line successors to a manufacturer of a radioactive contrast medium
- defending a university in litigation arising out of the administration of iron-59 to pregnant women as part of a nutrition study of iron metabolism in pregnancy
- defending personal injury and business loss claims arising out of the accident at and radioactive releases from the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- defending personal injury and property damage class actions and individual claims arising out of alleged emissions from operations and remediation of two former nuclear fuels processing facilities
- prosecuting and defending commercial litigation matters, including contract disputes, reinsurance matters and the management of a mediation program to resolve outstanding bankruptcy litigation claims.
B.A. 1978, cum laude, University of Pennsylvania
M.S. 1978 University of Pennsylvania
J.D. 1984, magna cum laude,Villanova University School of Law
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania