Steven R. London
Steven R. London is a partner in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Boston office. Mr. London concentrates his practice on corporate finance, securities and general corporate matters, and focuses on emerging growth companies and, small and middle-market public companies. The majority of the clients with whom he works are in the life sciences industry.
For the past 25 years, his activities have included public and private equity and debt offerings, venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions and Securities and Exchange Commission compliance matters. Mr. London represents, as general and special counsel, publicly traded corporations (stock exchange and Nasdaq listed), emerging high technology growth companies, and entrepreneurs in the initial start-up and development stages of business. He also represents foreign companies entering into the United States market. Mr. London has extensive experience in negotiating licensing, manufacturing, marketing and distribution agreements, joint ventures and strategic alliances.
Mr. London has represented:
Mr. London is listed in The Best Lawyers in America.
- issuers in IPOs and follow-on offerings, and has extensive experience in Regulation S and Rule 144A financings, placements of mezzanine equity and other private placement transactions
- a national restaurant chain since 1987 in its corporate finance transactions, including its IPO, secondary offerings, institutional debt financings, commercial debt financings and a going private transaction
- a publicly traded manufacturer of x-ray inspection systems in a $19 million private investment in public equity (PIPE) transaction
- boards of directors of public and private corporations on corporate governance, Sarbanes-Oxley and fiduciary responsibilities
- boards of directors of public companies regarding takeover defenses
- public companies in proxy contests and addressing dissident shareholders
- hedge funds in hostile acquisitions of and strategic negotiations with public companies
- an NYSE listed company in multiple issuer tender offers
- a private electronics manufacturer with international operations in its sale to a public company
- a private retail company in its sale to a private equity firm
- an emerging technology internet company in its sale to a Fortune 500 company
- an industrial manufacturer in its acquisitions and financings of machine tool, chemical and forging companies
- numerous Israeli emerging technology companies in doing business in the United States, obtaining venture capital financing and accessing global capital markets.
Active in the legal community, Mr. London is a member of a number of federal, state and local bar associations, and he is a member of the Leadership Board of the Wharton Global Consulting Practicum at the University of Pennsylvania.
Mr. London also is an active speaker who regularly speaks to corporate executives in the United States and globally on topics relating to rapidly growing businesses. His speaking engagements include:
Prior to joining Pepper, Mr. London practiced with Brown Rudnick Berlack Israels LLP in Boston, where he was a partner in that firm’s corporate group.
- The New England Venture Summit, “The Venture (R)evolution: What’s Next?” December 14, 2011
- The New England Venture Summit, “VC 2011: What Lies Ahead?” December 15, 2010
- The New England Venture Summit, “The Future: What's Next for the Venture Industry?” December 8, 2009
- Capital Roundtable, MasterClass Workshop, “Managing the Unique Due Diligence Issues of Smaller Deals,” May 13, 2008
- Capital Roundtable, MasterClass “Private Equity Investing in Middle-Market Restaurant Companies -- Sponsors Show Renewed Appetites as Valuations Come Back to Earth” and Workshop “Fundamentals of Doing Middle-Market Restaurant Deals,” January 23, 2008
- Massachusetts Export Center, “Legal Issues in Managing Overseas Agents & Distributors,” December 7, 2006
- NECINA (New England Chinese Information & Networking Association), “Beyond the Business Plan: Financing Options for Startups,” November 15, 2006
- Massachusetts Export Center, Certified Global Business Professional Series; “Legal Issues in International Business Transactions, Vertical Agreements,” May 12, 2006
- MIT Enterprise Forum of Cambridge, “Get Smart About Term Sheets,” April 27, 2006
- The Arthur M. Blank Center for Entrepreneurship at Babson College, “Financing Emerging Growth Companies,” March 7, 2006
- The Arthur M. Blank Center for Entrepreneurship at Babson College, “Business Valuations,” March 1, 2006
- NECINA, “The Art of Networking,” November 7, 2005
- The Arthur M. Blank Center for Entrepreneurship at Babson College, “The Role of Legal Counsel in Emerging Growth Companies,” September 29, 2005
- Hasbro Corporation, “Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions,” June 16, 2005
- NECINA, Business Plan Contest, “Putting Your Ideas on Paper,” November 2, 2004
- Technion Institute of Management, Managerial Program for Emerging Companies, “Enhancing the Value of Your Intellectual Property,” June 24, 2004
- Babson 2004 Conference on Entrepreneurship, “Financing the Entrepreneur’s Business,” April 2, 2004
- Suffolk University, “Getting Your Business Started – A Legal Perspective,” November 10, 2003
- NECINA, Entrepreneurship Without Borders, Entrepreneurship 2003; “How to Incorporate My Company,” October 18, 2003
- Suffolk University, “An Introduction to Venture Capital Financing,” November 18, 2002
- MIT Enterprise Forum of Cambridge, Spring Workshop May 4, 2002, “Global Expansion” panel
- WGBH Channel 2, Greater Boston, hosted by Emily Rooney, on June 13, 2002 and July 9, 2002, discussing insider trading, corporate governance and fiduciary duties of corporate executives.
B.A. 1977 Brandeis University
J.D. 1980 Georgetown University Law Center
Admitted to practice in Massachusetts