Michael A. Kadlec is an associate in the Employee Benefits Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Berwyn office. Mr. Kadlec concentrates his practice in and has experience in all areas of employee benefits and executive compensation, including employee benefits and executive compensation aspects of corporate mergers and acquisitions, public corporation executive compensation disclosure, design and drafting of equity compensation arrangements, and negotiation and drafting of employment and separation agreements.
Mr. Kadlec has experience representing various types of clients, including international publicly traded corporations, private equity funds, privately held entities and not-for-profit organizations.
Some of Mr. Kadlec’s recent representative engagements include:
- design, documentation and compliance advice for executive deferred compensation arrangements for a publicly traded investment bank
- preparing executive compensation analysis and disclosure for the proxy disclosure statements of various publicly traded corporations
- representation of a wholesale drug and medical equipment distributor and pharmacy operator on all aspects of employee benefits, including the redesign and implementation of equity compensation arrangements
- representation of a large international telecommunication corporation with respect to all aspects of employee benefits and executive compensation in its strategic acquisitions and the design and implementation of its equity compensation arrangements
- representation of one of the world’s largest multimedia retailers in all aspects of employee benefits and executive compensation
- representation of one of the country’s largest wholesale distributor of plumbing and heating supplies in the conversation of its traditional defined benefit plan to a cash balance pension plan
- negotiation, design, and documentation of executive deferred compensation arrangements, including for purposes of compliance with Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code, for various public and private entities
- representation of private equity funds in connection with its acquisition of various portfolio companies with respect to all aspects of employee benefits and executive compensation, including the negotiation and design of employment agreements and equity-based compensation programs
- representation of a large not-for-profit operator of hospitals and other health-related service providers in the design and drafting of its 403(b) plan and its defined benefit pension plan, and its integration of the employee benefits programs of newly acquired hospitals
- representation of a senior management group for purposes of negotiating employment agreements in connection with the sale of their employer to an large international corporation
- representation of employers before the Department of Labor with respect to the defense of non-compliance penalties pertaining to their qualified retirement plans.
Before and during law school, Mr. Kadlec was a financial administrator with The Vanguard Group and later an employee benefits specialist in Pepper’s Employee Benefits Practice Group.