Barbara T. Sicalides
Barbara T. Sicalides, a partner in the Philadelphia and Washington offices of Pepper Hamilton LLP, is head of the Antitrust Section of the firm’s Commercial Litigation Practice Group.
Ms. Sicalides’ practice covers the full range of antitrust litigation and counseling matters. In addition, she routinely handles distribution disputes and arrangements, class actions, securities and other general litigation for various domestic and international companies.
The following are representative engagements in which Ms. Sicalides has participated. She has represented:
Ms. Sicalides is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, is highly rated in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, and was selected for inclusion on the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Top 50 Women Pennsylvania Super Lawyers lists for 2014. Ms. Sicalides also is listed in the Global Competition Review of Who’s Who Legal 2014. She speaks regularly and has authored numerous articles and book chapters on competition-related issues, and is an author of the 2014 edition of Model Jury Instructions in Civil Antitrust Cases. Ms. Sicalides currently serves on the editorial board of the American Bar Association’s upcoming State Antitrust Practice and Statutes (5th ed.). She is an active member of the Philadelphia Bar Association; she co-chairs its Antitrust Committee and is a member of the Executive Committee of the Business Law Section.
- a leading producer of fresh and canned mushrooms in defense of allegations of restricting production levels
- a manufacturer of air-conditioning systems, bath and kitchen products and vehicle control systems in prosecution of its bid rigging and customer allocation conspiracy claims related to its purchase of commercial insurance products
- a major international truck manufacturer in defense of breach of contract, termination and Robinson-Patman Act claims brought by a dealer
- a major tobacco company in defense of Robinson-Patman Act and distributor termination claims
- a glass manufacturer in its defense in In Re Flat Glass Antitrust Litigation, MDL 1200 (W.D.Pa.), as well as various related state and federal indirect purchaser antitrust actions
- a major automotive parts wholesaler in defense of a Robinson-Patman Act “mass action” by almost 200 plaintiffs
- a major French manufacturer of building materials, flat glass, abrasives and other products in a suit alleging conspiracy to monopolize a technology market
- a U.K. parts manufacturer in defense of a distributor termination case charging violations of Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act and in the defense of patent infringement claims
- a U.S. pizza franchiser in defense of class action litigation brought by franchisees charging violations of Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act and various state laws
- a building products manufacturer in refusal to deal case charging violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act
- a leading chemical manufacturer in defense of a case charging violations of Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act in connection with a joint venture
- a film distribution and production company in defense of a refusal to deal case charging violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act and Pennsylvania’s film distribution statutes
- a film distribution and production company in defense of refusal to deal case charging violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act and Pennsylvania’s film distribution statutes
- one of the largest manufactures of newsprint in an acquisition investigation
- an international yeast manufacturer in connection with its purchase of a competitor
- a major international glass manufacturer in structuring a joint venture with a competitor and handling the premerger review of that transaction
- an elevator manufacturer regarding a proposed joint bid for competitor
- clients grappling with complex antitrust and distribution issues in the chemicals, bio-pharmaceutical, building products, flat glass, high tech and various other industries – provision of day-to-day, real-time advice
- companies and individuals in connection with investigations by the Federal Trade Commission, Justice Department and Securities and Exchange Commission.
Ms. Sicalides also is active in pro bono and public service work, and has received numerous awards recognizing her contributions, including Community Legal Service, Inc.’s Champion of Justice and Equal Justice Awards in 2006 and 2002, respectively, and the Philadelphia Bar Association’s First Union Fidelity Award in 2002. She serves on several boards of organizations that seek to provide income-eligible individuals equal access to the legal system, and she currently serves on the executive committee of the Committee of Seventy.
B.A. 1983 Barnard College
J.D. 1989, cum laude, Temple University School of Law; member, Temple Law Review
1989-90 Law Clerk, Honorable Joseph H. Rodriguez, U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and the District of Columbia