Solomon Hunter, Jr.
Solomon Hunter, Jr. is a partner in the Philadelphia office of Pepper Hamilton LLP. He is an experienced corporate lawyer with broad legal and management experience.
Mr. Hunter counsels clients with respect to an array of strategic business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, start-up and venture capital financings, corporate carve-outs, financing transactions, and restructurings and reorganizations. He also counsels clients with respect to strategic corporate, commercial contract, including outsourcing and manufacturing, and corporate governance matters.
He has represented:
Mr. Hunter also advises clients on raising capital through private and public securities offerings and businesses in connection with an array of outsourcing, supply, purchasing and manufacturing arrangements.
- a publicly traded human and pet food company in its approximately $360 million disposition of substantially all of the assets of its national brand tuna business to a Korean conglomerate
- a manufacturer of food products in its $280 million asset disposition of selected food production lines which had to be separated from other businesses retained by the seller
- a manufacturer of pet food products as a joint venture partner in a manufacturing joint venture with a large U.S. grower of produce and subsequent long-term purchase by the pet food manufacturer from the joint venture entity of a critical pet food raw material
- a manufacturer of food products as a joint venture partner in a distribution joint venture with a non-U.S. based manufacturer of branded food products in connection with the distribution of certain food products outside of the U.S.
- a manufacturer of food products in its minority investment into one of its critical suppliers of food raw materials during the restructuring of the supplier
- a multinational publicly traded insurance brokerage company in the disposition of one of its wholesale brokerage businesses to a portfolio company of Summitt Partners
- the U.S. subsidiary of a European based chemical company in its disposition of its alkylamine business to a Belgium based chemical company for approximately $20 million
- a pharmaceutical group purchasing organization in its $395 million merger with a newly formed company controlled by a New York-based private equity sponsor
- a life sciences company in its $300 million acquisition of the assets of the generic drug business of a competitive pharmaceutical company and subsequent disposition of certain of those assets in compliance with FTC requirements
- a venture capital company in its equity financing of a mid-stage application software company
- a private equity firm in its disposition of its equity interest in a portfolio company in the business of designing and manufacturing custom dental prosthetics
- a private equity firm in a $20 million leveraged recapitalization of a specialty equipment manufacturer
- a manufacturer of consumer products in the outsourcing of the production of certain food products
- a life sciences company in its investment in an early stage medical technology company and its simultaneous funding of the development and subsequent marketing of water purification technologies related to the treatment of renal disease
- a Swedish conglomerate in its $10 million disposition of the stock of each of its worldwide infrared system businesses in exchange for a minority position in a Nasdaq-listed manufacturer of infrared camera technologies
- a water services company in its $60 million auction and subsequent disposition of the stock and assets of certain of its worldwide water operations
- a private equity firm in its $150 million leveraged recapitalization of a manufacturer of personal computer equipment
- a software company in its merger, valued at $30 million, with and into a Nasdaq-listed developer of software supporting the medical community
- an Internet-based insurance services and brokerage company in its acquisition of a distressed on-line insurance brokerage company
- as co-counsel, in the sale of a publicly traded cosmetics company to a privately held consumer products conglomerate for $75 million
- a data center services company and its affiliated companies in their merger with and into various companies controlled by a private equity firm focused on the data center services industry
- the special committee of the board of directors of a distressed Internet-based investment advice company in its merger with and into a publicly traded investment advisor
- a private equity company in its acquisition of an ambulance services company in the southeastern United States
- a publicly traded insurance brokerage company in the sale of one of its business units to a portfolio company controlled by a private equity group.
Before attending law school, Mr. Hunter held a variety of sales and marketing positions with IBM Corporation.
Mr. Hunter currently serves on the firm’s Associates, Audit Letter and Diversity Committees. He previously served as vice-chair of the firm’s Hiring Committee.
Mr. Hunter is a member of the advisory board of the Rock Ethics Institute of the Pennsylvania State University.
B.A., 1981, University of Tennessee
M.B.A., 1984, Pennsylvania State University
J.D., 1995, Georgetown University Law Center
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey