Matthew D. Janssen
Matthew D. Janssen is an associate in the Philadelphia office of Pepper Hamilton LLP. His litigation practice, in federal and state courts, has involved many types of complex business disputes, including commercial disputes, corporate litigation, professional liability claims and breach of fiduciary duty claims. Mr. Janssen also represents clients in matters relating to the regulatory activities of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Examples of Mr. Janssen’s experience include:
- defending through dismissal breach of contract claims asserted against a large bearing distributor following the manufacturer’s termination of the parties’ long-term sales and supply agreement. RBC Nice Bearings, Inc. et al. v. SKF USA Inc., No. X03CV065009720S, 2010 Conn. Super. LEXIS 3429 (Conn. Super. Ct. July 23, 2010).
- defending through dismissal indemnification, breach of contract and professional negligence claims asserted against an actuarial consulting firm that developed an electronic rating model used in calculating rates for a Louisiana-based HMO. ACMG of Louisiana, Inc. v. Towers Perrin, Inc., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 88155 (N.D. Ga. 2008), aff’d, 2010 U.S. App. LEXIS 16536 (11th Cir. 2010).
- defending through dismissal indemnification, breach of contract and professional negligence claims asserted against an actuarial consulting firm following the termination of a department store’s defined benefit pension plan. Clevenger v. Dillard’s, Inc., 333 Fed. Appx. 907 (6th Cir. 2009).
- defending through dismissal a claim for an order piercing the corporate veil between a parent corporation and its subsidiary and enjoining the subsidiary to comply with certain contractual restrictions imposed on the parent under an asset purchase agreement
- defending former directors of an Internet company against breach of fiduciary duty claims
- defending a petroleum marketing company against breach of contract and fraud claims arising from the termination of a franchisee
- defending a mortgage company against credit defamation claims asserted by a real estate investor
- coordinating litigations involving personal injury claims asserted against a company that distributed actuators used in patient lifter machines
- representing financial services firms in connection with examinations, investigations and enforcement matters instituted by the SEC and FINRA.
In 2012, Mr. Janssen was named one of 35 Pennsylvania “Lawyers on the Fast Track” by The Legal Intelligencer (http://thelegalintelligencer.typepad.com/tli/2012/08/2012-lawyers-on-the-fast-track.html). He devotes a considerable amount of time to pro bono matters, including the representation of homeless women living in Philadelphia’s shelter system. From 2007 through 2012, the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania named Mr. Janssen to its Roll of Honor in recognition of his commitment to representing indigent persons in the Philadelphia region. He also serves on the board of directors for the Homeless Advocacy Project, and has served as an at-large member of the Executive Committee for the Philadelphia Bar Association’s Public Interest Section. He is currently a member of the firm’s Diversity Liaison Committee.
B.A. 2000, magna cum laude, Colby College
J.D. 2003, magna cum laude, Villanova University School of Law; editor in chief, Villanova Law Review; Order of the Coif
2003-2004, Law Clerk to the Honorable Virginia A. Long, Associate Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court
Admitted in Pennsylvania and New Jersey