Evelyn J. Meltzer
Evelyn J. Meltzer is of counsel in the Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Wilmington office. Ms. Meltzer has experience in representing debtors, trustees, committees of unsecured creditors, post-confirmation trusts as well as individual creditors in bankruptcy proceedings. Additionally, Ms. Meltzer acts as counsel for both plaintiffs and defendants in various bankruptcy related litigation matters.
Ms. Meltzer currently serves as chair for the Delaware Chapter of the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation.
Significant cases in which Ms. Meltzer has been actively involved include the following Chapter 11 matters:
- debtor co-counsel in Evergreen Solar, Inc.
- debtor co-counsel in Cynergy Data, Inc.
- debtor counsel in Hawaii Superferry, Inc.
- debtor co-counsel in Holley Performance Products, Inc. (both bankruptcies)
- debtor co-counsel in JHT Holdings, Inc.
- debtor counsel in Recticel Interiors North America, LLC
- debtor counsel in Broadband Office, Inc.
- committee counsel in Syntax-Brillian Corporation
- committee co-counsel in Great Wide Logistic Services
- committee co-counsel in RathGibson, Inc.
- committee co-counsel in Caribbean Petroleum, Inc.
- committee co-counsel in Skybus Airlines, Inc.
- committee co-counsel in Neoplan USA Corporation
- committee counsel in Reliant Energy Channelview LP
- committee co-counsel in Avado Brands, Inc.
- committee co-counsel in Questex Media Group, Inc.
Ms. Meltzer’s recent publications include:
- “United States Bankruptcy Appellate Panel of the Tenth Circuit Upholds Provision in LLC Agreement Prohibiting Filing of Bankruptcy,” Legal Intelligencer, December 2010
- “Involuntary Bankruptcy Proceedings: Benefits and Risks to the Petitioning Creditors,” Bloomberg Law Reports, August 2010
- “Third Circuit Holds that Agreement Containing Trademark License was Not Executory and Therefore Could Not be Rejected,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Bankruptcy Update, June 2010
- “A Year in Review: Delaware DIP Orders in 2008,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, April 2009
- “Ten Issues To Consider Prior To Filing For Bankruptcy,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Bankruptcy Update, January 2009
- "Two Bankruptcy Courts Deny Administrative Expense Claim For Employees Terminated Pre- Petition In Violation Of Warn Act," Pepper Hamilton LLP Bankruptcy Update, January 2009
- “Circuit Court Split Regarding Degree of Culpability Required Under Section 523(a)(4),” American Bankruptcy Institute Commercial Fraud Task Force Newsletter, December 2007
- “Disgorgement of Critical Vendor Payments,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, November 2007
- “Demystifying the Claims Administration Process,” American Bankruptcy Institute Court Administration Committee Newsletter, November 2007
- “The Appointment of a Patient Care Ombudsman,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Bankruptcy Update, October 2007
- “Ten Traps to Avoid When Filing a Proof of Claim,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, April 2007
- "The Timing of Payment of Allowed Section 503(b)(9) Administrative Expense Claims,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Bankruptcy Update, March 2007
- “Arbitration Clauses Continue To Be Enforced By Delaware Bankruptcy Courts,” Legal Intelligencer, November 10, 2006 and Delaware Law Weekly, November 15, 2006.
Before joining Pepper, Ms. Meltzer was a corporate associate at Dechert LLP in Philadelphia.
B.A. 1998, summa cum laude, Drew University
J.D. 2001, Northwestern University School of Law
Admitted to practice in Delaware and Pennsylvania