Isla L. Long
Isla L. Long is a partner in the Litigation Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Philadelphia office. Ms. Long concentrates her practice in reinsurance, insurance insolvency and complex commercial litigation.
Her clients include insurers, reinsurers, reinsurance intermediaries, and reinsurance pool managers. Ms. Long handles a variety of complex commercial insurance and reinsurance litigation at the trial and appellate levels of state and federal court, as well as cases before ARIAS arbitration panels. She provides claims and state regulatory advice to insurance and reinsurance companies and brokers. Ms. Long counsels non-insurer corporate clients regarding risk management, including reporting of claims and securing appropriate insurance coverage.
Ms. Long focuses her practice in the following areas:
The following engagements are representative of Ms. Long’s practice:
- representing cedents, intermediaries and reinsurers in disputes involving contractual issues, claims, collateral, commutations, domestic and international insolvencies, letters of credit, offsets, rescission, reserving, solvent schemes of arrangement, statutes of limitations, sunset clause and other notice issues, underwriting and vacatur, and confirmation of arbitration awards
- insurance coverage litigation, including representation of primary and excess insurers in environmental, asbestos, products, bad faith and other latent or mass tort claims at the trial and appellate levels
- regularly counseling and representing clients in reinsurance recovery actions, and claim disputes that arise in the context of solvent and insolvent companies, including classification, priority and valuation of claims, as well as an insured’s right to direct access to reinsurance
- corporate insurance purchasing, counseling and negotiation, with an emphasis on D&O and E&O coverages.
Ms. Long was selected for inclusion on the 2011-14 Pennsylvania Rising Stars lists.
- representation of insolvent insurance company in litigation regarding the application of facultative reinsurance to workers compensation claims
- representation of insolvent insurance company in arbitration regarding number of occurrences associated with large boiler & machinery claim
- representation of insurance company in arbitrations regarding aggregation of non-products asbestos bodily injury claims
- representation of insolvent insurance company in litigation regarding policyholder’s right of direct access to reinsurance
- representation of insurance company in arbitrations regarding claims handling of asbestos bodily injury claims
- representation of insurance company in arbitrations concerning underwriting of reinsurance treaties with respect to workers compensation risks
- representation of insurance company in insurance coverage litigation regarding asbestos bodily injury claims.
Prior to joining Pepper, Ms. Long was an associate in the Intellectual Property Section of the Litigation Group of Jones Day in Cleveland, OH.
B.S. 1996 Georgetown University
J.D. 1999 University of Texas School of Law
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania