Rebekah A. Z. Monson
Rebekah A. Z. Monson is a senior attorney in the Commercial Department of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Philadelphia office. She concentrates her practice on a wide variety of health care matters.
Ms. Monson counsels health care providers (including physicians and physician groups), hospitals and health systems, long-term care providers, service providers, outpatient diagnostic centers, and other health care companies and organizations, on health care regulatory issues. She also has experience in issues including business formation, corporate planning and structure, governance, contractual relationships, and business transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, affiliations, reorganizations and joint ventures.
Ms. Monson is experienced in compliance issues, fraud and abuse (including the federal Anti-Kickback Statute), Stark and physician self-referral, licensure, payment and other issues that affect health care providers and institutions under federal and state laws. She advises clients on the issues presented by the implementation of information technologies in the health care industry, including telemedicine, computerized patient records, electronic medical communications and electronic health records, and the associated legal issues such as privacy, identity theft, compliance, licensing and payment concerns.
Ms. Monson regularly counsels clients on compliance with the privacy and security requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the HITECH Act, and other federal and state laws relating to privacy, confidentiality and security of health information.
Ms. Monson has assisted institutional health care providers in corporate restructuring and affiliation. She also has assisted physicians and their practices in preparing employment and independent contractor agreements and in forming partnerships.
Ms. Monson speaks and writes frequently on health-related topics. Her recent articles include:
Ms. Monson’s recent speaking engagements include:
- “The Omnibus Final HIPAA Rule Is Here,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Health Care Law Alert, January 2013
- “Two Steps Forward, One Step Back: HHS Invests in Health IT Infrastructure, But Admits to Failures in Security Enforcement,” ABA Health Law Section, The Health Lawyer, Volume 24, Number 1, November 2011
- “Using Social Media to Enhance Surgeon and Patient Education and Communication,” Bulletin of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 96 (7), July 2011
- “Five for Fighting: Penalties for HIPAA Privacy Violations,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Health Care Law Alert, March 2011
- “Saf(er) Practice: Social Networking Tips for Physicians,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Health Care Law Alert, December 2010
- “Medical Records Copying Continues to Pose a Dilemma for Providers,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Health Care Law Alert, March 2010
- “HHS and FTC Dive Deeper Into the Breach: Update on Breach Notification Under the HITECH Act” (co-author), Privacy & Data Security Law Journal, November 2009
- “HHS and FTC Dive Into the Breach: Update on Breach Notification Under The HITECH Act” (co-author), Privacy & Data Security Law Journal, June 2009
- “The FTC Red Flags Rule: Temporary Reprieve but No Exception (Yet) for Health Care Providers,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Health Care Law Alert, November 2008
- “Moving From Portals to HIEs – Legal Issues to Consider” (co-author), Journal of Healthcare Information Management Legal Perspectives, Summer 2008
- “PhRMA Announces Revisions to Code” (co-author), Pepper Hamilton LLP Health Care Law Alert, July 2008
- “Quality of Care: Update on DHHS Quality Initiatives and Value-Based Purchasing,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Health Care Law Alert, May 2008
- “To Err Is Human to Regulate Sublime: DHHS Proposes Rules Implementing the Patient Safety Act,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Health Care Law Alert, March 2008
- “Implementation Solutions and Unintended Gaps of Cost-Sharing -- HHS Final Rules for e-Prescribing and Electronic Health Records” (co-author), Journal of Healthcare Information Management Legal Perspectives, Summer 2007
- “HHS Moves Forward with E-Prescribing Standards” (co-author), Journal of Healthcare Information Management Legal Perspectives, Summer 2006
- “HHS Announces Final Rules For E-Prescribing and Electronic Health Records,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Health Care Law Alert, August 2006
- “Diagnostic Imaging: Privileging and Pre-Authorization,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Health Care Law Alert, July 2006
- “HIPAA Compliance Not Easy, Even for the IRS,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Health Care Law Alert, November 2004.
Ms. Monson is a member of the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS).
- “Oper@ting Safely on Social Networks: Legal Dos and Don’ts 3.0” during panel session titled “To Tweet or Become Extinct: Why Pediatric Surgeons Need to Understand Social Networking,” American Pediatric Surgical Association 44th Annual Meeting, May 2013
- “Breach Notification,” “Business Associate Compliance,” and “Top Ten Suggestions to Comply with the HIPAA/HITECH Final Rule,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Podcasts, March 2013
- “Current Developments in Health Care Privacy” (panelist), Aon’s Healthcare Industry Roundtable, October 2010
- “Oper@ting Safely on Social Networks: Legal Dos and Don’ts” during panel session titled “To Tweet or Become Extinct?: Why Surgeons Need to Understand Social Networking,” American College of Surgeons 96th Annual Clinical Congress, October 2010
- “Health Care Privacy and Security After HITECH Part II: Proposed Changes to HIPAA Administrative Simplification Rules” Health Care Legal Issues for 2010 and Beyond, Pepper Hamilton LLP webinar series, August 2010
- “Health Care Privacy and Security After HITECH” Health Care Legal Issues for 2010 and Beyond, Pepper Hamilton LLP webinar series, April 2010
- “Identity Theft Prevention: The FTC’s Red Flags Rules and Health Care Providers,” Health Care Compliance Association, Physician Practice Compliance Conference, October 2009
- “Ensuring Compliance with FTC’s Red Flags Rules on Identity Theft Prevention,” HIMSS Virtual Conference & Expo, June 2009
- “Identity Theft Prevention: The FTC’s Red Flags Rules and Health Care Organizations,” The Risk Management and Patient Safety Institute, March 2009
- “Identity Theft in the Health Care World,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 13th Annual Health Law Institute, March 2007
- “Hot Issues Confronting the Practice of Radiology,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 12th Annual Health Law Institute, March 2006
- “Records Reproduction Costs – HIPAA Versus State Law,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 11th Annual Health Law Institute, March 2005
- Panel Discussion: “State Preemption and Enforcement: Analysis of Preemption of Specific State Laws,” at the e- Pennsylvania Alliance HIPAA Summit “Implementing HIPAA in Pennsylvania: Partnering for Success” Hershey, PA, November 2002.
Ms. Monson is a member of the American and Philadelphia bar associations and is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association and the Health Law Section of the American Bar Association.
B.A. 1995, summa cum laude, Barnard College, Columbia University; Phi Beta Kappa
B.A. 1995, with honors and distinction, Albert A. List College of Jewish Studies, Jewish Theological Seminary of America
J.D. 1998, Georgetown University Law Center; member, The Tax Lawyer
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania