James D. VandeWyngearde
James D. VandeWyngearde is of counsel in the Detroit office of Pepper Hamilton LLP. Mr. VandeWyngearde concentrates his practice in the area of general commercial litigation. He has experience litigating contractual disputes, securities actions, supply chain disputes, trade secrets, products liability, construction, land use, sales commission disputes, employment actions and various other areas of complex civil litigation, in both federal and state courts.
Mr. VandeWyngearde’s past and current engagements include representing:
Mr. VandeWyngearde was selected for inclusion on the 2013 Michigan Super Lawyers list and on the 2008-2012 Michigan Rising Stars lists.
- an independent examiner appointed by a U.S. District Court judge to review the financial condition of a publicly traded retailer in conjunction with a civil action filed by the Securities and Exchange Commission
- an officer of a publicly traded energy corporation in conjunction with alleged securities violations
- an officer of a publicly traded automotive supplier in conjunction with alleged securities violations
- a publicly traded biotechnology company and its officers for allegedly misrepresenting the company’s ability to meet certain requirements for regulatory approval of its lead product in the United States and Europe
- various automotive suppliers in supply chain disputes
- a municipal official against claims of civil rights violations involving equal protection and due process issues
- numerous automotive suppliers against claims of failure to pay post-termination commissions pursuant to Michigan’s Procuring Cause Doctrine
- a large bank and trust company in numerous “stock drop” ERISA class actions
- a manufacturer of automotive glass in “roll-over” product liability litigation, serving as national coordinating counsel
- numerous financial institutions in pursuing breach-of-contract actions
- numerous business clients with respect to non-compete and trade secret actions
- numerous business clients involving employment-related claims arising under the Americans with Disability Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act and Michigan’s Whistleblower Protection Act
- lessors and lessees in commercial landlord-tenant issues
- developers in building and zoning disputes with municipalities involving Constitutional violations.
Mr. VandeWyngearde is admitted to practice in Michigan and before the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He is a member of the Federal and American Bar Associations. He holds a council position on the Litigation Section of the State Bar of Michigan and is the vice-chairman of the Commercial Litigation Committee of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan. In addition, he serves on the board of directors of the Barristers of the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association, the Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee of the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association, and has been selected to sit for a five-year term as a case evaluator for civil cases in the 36th District Court.
B.A. 1995 Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)
J.D. 1998 Wayne State University Law School; assistant editor, Wayne Law Review
Admitted to practice in Michigan