William A. Scari Jr.
William A. Scari, Jr. is a partner in the Commercial Department of Pepper Hamilton LLP. Mr. Scari is the partner in charge of the firm’s Berwyn office and co-chair of the Food and Beverage Industry Practice Group. He also is a member of the firm’s Italian Desk. Mr. Scari is a former member of Pepper’s Executive Committee, the firm’s governing body.
Mr. Scari’s practice is devoted primarily to mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions, and providing a wide range of business and intellectual property counseling to private companies. Mr. Scari regularly counsels life sciences and other technology companies in licensing and financing transactions, joint venture and partnering arrangements, and in the negotiation and preparation of their ordinary course agreements, as well as counseling boards of directors.
Mr. Scari is a member, or has served as a member, of several boards of directors. He was the co-chairman of the Early Stage East 2007 Venture Capital Conference, a past president and director of the Entrepreneurs’ Forum of Greater Philadelphia and a founder and past director of the Delaware Entrepreneurs’ Forum. He has lectured on many occasions in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, technology licensing and private equity and venture capital financing.
In representative engagements, Mr. Scari has:
- counseled a medical device company in its $167 million sale to a strategic buyer
- advised an ADME CRO in acquiring a toxicology CRO with an AAALAC – accredited animal testing facility, which now allows the combined entity to provide a full preclinical package of IND – and NDA – enabling studies
- advised principal groups on the formation and operation of private investment funds, including private equity and venture capital funds
- advised a New York-based, $1.2 billion private equity fund regarding multiple platform and add-on investments, acquisitions, divestitures and financings, both domestic and international
- advised a publicly traded software company in its $550 million sale to a Fortune 50 strategic buyer
- advised a West Coast-based leader in Internet value-added Web services in connection with more than 10 domestic and international acquisitions
- counseled a platform company in the acquisition of six companies doing business in seven states with senior, mezzanine and equity financing from a public investment company, to create the largest domestic distributor of point-of-use water coolers
- advised principals in the formation of a medical malpractice insurance carrier and the acquisition of a medical malpractice reinsurer counseled a reinsurance company in its sale to a strategic buyer.
J.D. 1980 Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law
B.A. 1975 University of Delaware
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania