William A. Scari, Jr. is a partner in the Commercial Department of Pepper Hamilton LLP. Mr. Scari is the managing partner of the firm’s Berwyn office and co-chair of the Food and Beverage Industry Practice Group. He also is a member of the firm’s Italian Desk. Mr. Scari is a former member of Pepper’s Executive Committee, the firm’s governing body.
Mr. Scari’s practice is devoted primarily to mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions, and international transactions. Mr. Scari regularly counsels boards of directors, board committees and senior management of companies on strategic, governance, disclosure and transaction matters. Mr. Scari’s experience includes working with food and beverage, life sciences, health care, information technology and manufacturing companies.
Mr. Scari is a member, or has served as a member, of several boards of directors of for-profit companies. Active in the community, Mr. Scari also serves on the board of directors of MANNA, a nonprofit company that cooks and delivers nutritious, medically-appropriate meals and provides nutrition counseling to those battling life-threatening illnesses. He also was the co-chairman of the Early Stage East 2007 Venture Capital Conference, a past president and director of the Entrepreneurs’ Forum of Greater Philadelphia and a founder and past director of the Delaware Entrepreneurs’ Forum. Mr. Scari is listed in The Best Lawyers in America.
In representative engagements, Mr. Scari has:
- counseled a U.S. leader in the manufacturing of fittings and valves in its acquisition of a competitive business in Italy
- counseled a medical device company in its sale to an industry leading strategic buyer
- advised the shareholders of a leading provider of food ingredients and flavor systems for the industrial food trade in its sale to a private equity fund
- advised a New York-based, private equity fund regarding multiple platform and add-on investments, acquisitions, divestitures and financings, both domestic and international
- advised a publicly traded enterprise software company in its sale to a Fortune 50 strategic buyer
- advised an ADME CRO in acquiring a toxicology CRO with an AAALAC – accredited animal testing facility, which now allows the combined entity to provide a full preclinical package of IND – and NDA – enabling studies
- advised principal groups on the formation and operation of private investment funds, including private equity and venture capital funds
- advised a West Coast-based leader in Internet value-added Web services in connection with more than 10 domestic and international acquisitions
- counseled a platform company in the acquisition of six companies doing business in seven states with senior, mezzanine and equity financing from a public investment company, to create the largest domestic distributor of point-of-use water coolers
- advised principals in the formation of a medical malpractice insurance carrier and the acquisition of a medical malpractice reinsurance company.