Michael P. Gallagher is a partner with Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Berwyn office. He concentrates his practice in the areas of corporate finance, private equity, family businesses, securities, mergers and acquisitions, workouts and general corporate matters.
Mr. Gallagher represents issuers and underwriters in private and public offerings of debt and equity securities, and financial and strategic buyers and sellers in stock and asset acquisitions. Current and recent representative engagements include assisting:
Mr. Gallagher was selected by Ireland Inc.’s Business & Finance magazine as one of the Irish Global 100 for 2013, a list of top business leaders of Irish heritage who have contributed to growing business in Ireland.
- ESOP-owned diversified holding company in the sale of eight operating manufacturing businesses to a private equity fund buyer
- a government contractor providing engineering services to the U.S. Navy in an ESOP Sale/Recapitalization and Refinancing transaction
- private equity buyer in the acquisition of a supplier of subsea systems and products
- ESOP-owned diversified holding company in divestiture of a chemical manufacturing business to a private equity-backed competitor
- portfolio company of a private equity client in an add-on acquisition
- fundless equity sponsor in equity and debt financing of a proposed purchase of assets out of a state receivership proceeding
- investment bank in connection with rendering of a fairness opinion to a publicly-owned company being sold
- private equity portfolio company in bank financing and acquisition program
- U.S.-based CRO focusing in new cancer drug studies, in a recapitalization transaction
- investment bank as placement agent to a new real estate investment fund
- international U.S.-based CRO in an equity recapitalization with a NY-based private equity firm
- SBIC-licensed private equity firm in several acquisitions and bank financing
- Dublin, Ireland-based private equity group in several U.S. acquisitions and investments
- investment bank as financial advisor to special committees of publicly held companies in several “going private” and sale transactions
- U.S.-based IT staffing company in mergers and acquisitions
- management group of a media marketing company in a sale of a business from one private equity fund to another
- government/defense contractor consulting business in general corporate matters and mergers and acquisitions, and a private equity sponsored equity recapitalization
- medical staffing company in the sale of the business to an Alaskan native tribe corporation
- ESOP-owned diversified holding company in several ESOP tender offers, several divestitures and acquisitions and bank refinancing
- U.K.-based biotechnology company with U.S. operations in various U.S. corporate and IP matters
- software consulting company in private equity fund-sponsored MBO
- management buyout of a publicly held IT staffing company in a “going private” transaction
- sale of a privately owned CRO to another privately owned CRO
- sale of a privately owned international CRO to a U.S.-based publicly owned CRO
- publicly held clinical research organization (CRO) company listed on the Toronto exchange and Nasdaq NMS in an acquisition of a French CRO, an acquisition of a privately held U.S. based international CRO, an acquisition of a Nasdaq-listed CRO, proposed U.S. public offering, other U.S. securities matters and sale to NYSE company
- publicly held enterprise interaction management software development company in several public offerings, securities and general corporate matters, and sale to NYSE company
- acquisition of a publicly held biotechnology company by a private biotechnology company in the diagnostic testing industry, ongoing securities matters and several subsequent acquisitions of biotechnology companies
- business process outsourcer in mergers and acquisitions and general corporate matters
- NYSE publicly held specialty retailer in general corporate and employee benefits matters
- developer of high temperature superconductor materials in various securities matters, private financings, and a $20 million public “rights” offering
- e-commerce supply chain network for the chemical and rubber industries in general corporate matters, and M&A and finance matters
- publicly held specialty retainer in an acquisition of a 170-store retailer
- supply chain execution software developer in a proposed initial public offering, several debt and private equity financings, various strategic and general matters
- document management services company in several private financings and a $50 million “roll-up” initial public offering involving the simultaneous acquisition of 14 founding companies, subsequent strategic alternatives, ongoing securities matters and venture capital financing
- private equity fund in a venture round investment in an information technology company
- an investment bank in a proposed $50 million IPO of a communications company
- investment bank in a private placement for a physician practice management company and in the proposed $36 million “roll-up” initial public offering of such company
- buyer in an acquisition of a 75-store specialty retailer
- management consulting firm in a $44 million initial public offering
- specialty retailer in a series of bank financings, lease negotiations and a private financing
- sale of a publicly held pharmaceutical packaging company to a publicly held company in the pharmaceutical distribution business.
Mr. Gallagher has served on “The Campaign For The Music” committee of WXPN radio station since 2008. He has been a member of the Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts since 1987 and has been a member of the Chairman’s Golf Committee of the American Ireland Fund’s Philadelphia Golf Classic since 2006. Mr. Gallagher served on the finance council of St. Thomas of Villanova Parish from 2002 to 2010. Mr. Gallagher served on the board of directors of The Boy’s and Girl’s Clubs of Metropolitan Philadelphia from 1996 to 2002. He also served on the board of The Main Line Arts Center in Haverford, Pennsylvania, a multi dimensional art center dedicated to offering and promoting art by providing classes, exhibitions, trips and lectures for serious art students and those newly interested in the visual arts from 1993 to 2001 and co-chaired its Building Committee from 1998 to 2001. From 1993 to 1996, Mr. Gallagher served on the board and as an officer of the Entrepreneurs’ Forum of Greater Philadelphia, a local organization that sponsors programs of interest to start up and emerging growth companies.
Mr. Gallagher has published a number of articles and has been a speaker at a variety of seminars.
Before joining Pepper in 1996, Mr. Gallagher was a partner in the Philadelphia office of Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll.