Kassem L. Lucas is a partner in the Commercial Litigation Practice Group in the Philadelphia office of Pepper Hamilton LLP. Mr. Lucas concentrates his practice in complex commercial litigation, reinsurance law and arbitration, insurance counseling and insurance insolvency.
Mr. Lucas’ representative engagements include:
Mr. Lucas’ speaking engagements include:
- representing the Department of Insurance of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the collection of billions of dollars of reinsurance owed to Reliance Insurance Company, a major property and casualty insurance company now in liquidation
- representing the Department of Insurance of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the collection of billions of dollars of reinsurance owed to Legion Insurance Company, a major property and casualty insurance company now in liquidation
- representing the Department of Insurance of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in its prosecution of a RICO and fraud action against former owners of PIC, a Pennsylvania medical malpractice insurer, for causing an insolvency estimated at several hundred million dollars
- presenting an appellate argument before the Pennsylvania Superior Court in a contract dispute regarding the termination of a doctor under an employment agreement
- representing corporations, organizations and individuals in complex contract disputes
- representing a start-up company in ushering the product from design to the market.
- “What’s Your Status? Legal Risks of Social Media in the Workplace,” Pepper Hamilton LLP Webinar on June 14, 2011
- “Selected Ethical Issues in the World of Social Media,” Delaware Valley Corporate Counsel Association (DELVACCA) In-House Corporate Counsel Conference on April 7, 2011
- “Build, Secure, Establish: Tips on How to Succeed at Pepper,” In-House Panel Presentation to Pepper associates as part of Pepper’s diversity initiatives
- “Reinsurance Disputes: Pre-Arbitration Through Hearing,” an in-house program sponsored by the Insurance Society of Philadelphia
- “Insurance & Reinsurance: Litigation Trends and Outlook” at the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants 2009 Insurance Conference
- “The Historical and Legal Battles and Strategies Leading to Brown v. Board of Education.”
Mr. Lucas has experience in other areas of the law. He has a pro bono practice in family law, where he has represented clients in child custody and child support matters, and he has also worked on labor and employment matters.
In 2011, Mr. Lucas was named Pepper’s Partner in Charge of Diversity. Mr. Lucas is in charge of Pepper Hamilton’s firm-wide diversity initiatives and programs and also co-chairs the firm’s Diversity Committee. His responsibilities include developing strategic initiatives to recruit, support, retain and promote attorneys from diverse backgrounds, maintaining diversity and inclusion as core values of the firm, and seeking opportunities to partner with the community and clients on diversity initiatives and business development.
Mr. Lucas is a member of the firm’s Associates Committee and a member of the Commercial Litigation Practice Group’s Associates Progress Committee. He is active in the firm’s recruiting efforts and participates in the Summer Associate program and interviewing process. He has served as co-chair of the Summer Associate Committee and as a mentor to summer associates and junior associates. He also has served on the firm’s Associate Liaison Committee. Mr. Lucas was a partner-mentor for Eli Lilly’s Preferred Outside Counsel Inaugural Diverse Associate Summit in May 2010.
Mr. Lucas recently became a Fellow of the Leadership Counsel for Legal Diversity’s (LCLD) Fellows Program. The LCLD’s Fellows Program is intended to help diversify the legal profession by producing attorneys with strong leadership and networking skills who enjoy relationships with industry leaders and who are committed to fostering diversity within their individual institutions. He also has been recognized by The Legal Intelligencer as a “Diverse Attorney of the Year” featured in its 2011 Diversity Supplement.
Mr. Lucas is a member of the Stakeholder 100 Class of 2007. Stakeholder 100 is a list of top performing associates of color at law firms throughout the United States. He received the 2007 Distinguished Young Lawyer Award from the Barristers’ Association, and was named the Craig M. Perry Community Service Award recipient by the Philadelphia Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division in 2006. In addition, he was named one of the “Lawyers on the Fast Track” in Pennsylvania by American Lawyer Media in 2005 and was selected for inclusion on the 2011 Pennsylvania Rising Stars list. Mr. Lucas served as a member of the Young Lawyers Editorial Board for American Lawyer Media from its inception until 2011 and the Insurance Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association from 2009-2011.
Before joining Pepper, Mr. Lucas worked full time as a teacher, coach, administrator, advisor and dorm resident at his alma mater, George School, a college preparatory boarding school, while attending law school in the evenings. He coaches a mock trial team at Franklin Learning Center, participates in Martin Luther King Day Workshops at George School and serves as a Yale University alumni admissions office representative for Southeastern Pennsylvania. Mr. Lucas is a member of the board of directors of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Philadelphia, where he serves as vice-chair in charge of programs. He also is a member of the George School Committee, the board of trustees, and serves on the Diversity Oversight and Instruction and Student Life Committees. He has served as a mentor with Philadelphia Futures and has volunteered as a football coach.