Raymond L. DeLuca is a partner in the Construction Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Philadelphia office. He also is a member of the firm’s Sustainability, CleanTech and Climate Change Team. Mr. DeLuca’s practice is exclusively dedicated to the construction industry, representing owners, contractors, suppliers and design professionals in all phases of the construction and dispute resolution process.
Mr. DeLuca has litigated numerous significant construction claims, from the owner, contractor and design professional’s perspectives. Representative engagements include:
- prosecution of design professional’s claims for extra work, delays and disruptions arising out of design and construction of $8 billion tunneling project
- prosecution of owner’s claims for delay against EPC contractor arising out of the design and construction of a power plant in Jamaica
- defense of design professional/construction manager against $50 million professional liability claim arising out of design and construction of an elevated light rail line
- prosecution of private developer’s claims against public entity for delays in site turnover exceeding $100 million on prominent public/private development project in New York
- prosecution of private owner’s claims exceeding $4 million and defense against EPC contractor’s claims in excess of $8 million arising out of the design and construction of natural gas pipeline in Mexico
- defense of concrete subcontractor against multiple civil actions totaling in excess of $300 million arising out of the partial collapse of a parking garage in Atlantic City, New Jersey
- prosecution of owner’s claims exceeding $4 million and defense of multiple contractors’ claims involving construction of a new student center, student housing and an apartment building in Salt Lake City, Utah
- defense of owner against design/builder and subcontractor’s claims in excess of $5 million arising out of the design and construction of pharmaceutical pilot plant in Bridgewater, New Jersey
- prosecution of contractor’s delay, disruption and inefficiency claims totaling more than $12 million against public agency arising out of the renovation and expansion of certain bridges and roadways in Pennsylvania
- prosecution of contractor’s $1 million claim for delays and disruptions in construction of a sewage treatment plant
- defense of design professional against $26 million claim arising out of a fire that destroyed a significant public building in the Philadelphia region.
Mr. DeLuca’s representative counseling, drafting and negotiation engagements include:
- drafted and negotiated design/build agreement for new $160 million regional distribution center in Pennsylvania
- drafted and negotiated construction management agreement for new $300 million hospital in New Jersey
- drafted and negotiated design and construction management agreements for $180 million expansion and renovation of significant public building in Philadelphia
- drafted various agreements and counseled pharmaceutical client concerning its $1 billion biopharmaceutical facility in Ireland
- drafted and negotiated design/build agreement for new $30 million dollar electronics manufacturing facility in Mexico
- drafted and negotiated architectural services agreement for $26 million new high school in the Philadelphia region
- drafted, negotiated and counseled in the administration of architectural services agreement and construction services agreement for $30 million expansion and renovation of low income housing units in Cleveland, OH
- for various clients, drafted form agreements (clients include developers, pharmaceutical companies, industrial owners, contractors and design professionals).
Clients benefit from Mr. DeLuca’s experience as a design professional as well as a lawyer. From 1989-94, Mr. DeLuca was a design professional with Lammey & Giorgio Architects in Haddonfield, NJ. He is experienced in all aspects of the design and construction process.
Mr. DeLuca is a frequent speaker and author on construction-related topics. He has presented for groups such as Mealey’s (LexisNexis), the Pennsylvania Society of Professional Engineers and the American Institute of Architects. Mr. DeLuca authored chapters on construction contract forms, construction law practice, delays and disruptions, and design professional liability.
Mr. DeLuca is listed in The Best Lawyers in America.
Mr. DeLuca graduated magna cum laude from Temple University with a Bachelor of Architecture and received the Outstanding Student Award in recognition of having the highest grade point average in his class. In 1996, he graduated cum laude from Rutgers University School of Law. At Rutgers, Mr. DeLuca was selected as the Law Alumni Merit Scholar in recognition of his academic and professional achievements.
Mr. DeLuca is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts of both Pennsylvania and New Jersey.