Michelle R. Yarbrough Korb is special counsel in the Real Estate Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Pittsburgh office.
Ms. Yarbrough Korb’s practice is focused in the affordable housing industry with an emphasis on mixed-finance project development, including the utilization of low-income housing tax credits, federal programs including the Capital Fund Financing Program, and programs offered by individual states as well as the Federal Home Loan Banks. She has provided comments on proposed federal and Pennsylvania affordable housing program regulations and guidance including active participation in HUD’s process to issue PIH-2007-15, a notice regarding “Applicability of Public Housing Development Requirements to Transactions between Public Housing Agencies and their Related Affiliates and Instrumentalities,” including participating in a PHA Affiliates roundtable discussion at HUD headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Ms. Yarbrough Korb maintains a transactional practice that involves drafting and negotiating financing documents, site control and access documents, master development agreements governing long-term relationships between parties, agreements governing regulations associated with the use of public funds, procurement documents, and energy performance contracts. She regularly advises clients from concept to closing on multimillion dollar development projects, including the formation and use of new entities, working with state and federal governmental agencies, and addressing compliance issues.
Ms. Yarbrough Korb’s recent publications and speaking engagements include:
- “Everything Your Outside Counsel & Legal Consultants Wish You Knew” (presenter), NAHRO National Conference, October 2013
- “Reminder to Embrace Opportunity When Looking to the Future” (author), The Legal Intelligencer, March 14, 2013
- “Living Our Values by Creating Effective Partnerships to Achieve Neighborhood Redevelopment and Build a Community” (presenter), NAHRO Summer Conference
- “Finding Innovative Methods to Generate Revenue at Home to Support Our Values” (presenter), NAHRO Summer Conference
- “Facing the Challenge of Creating Effective Partnerships” (presenter), UNCA Neighborhood Revitalization Conference
- “Creating a Revitalized Neighborhood” (presenter), NAHRO Summer Conference
- “Tax Credits – Year 15” (presenter), Pennsylvania Association of Housing & Redevelopment Agencies (PAHRA) Spring Conference and Expo
- “Fiduciary Responsibilities of Affiliates and Instrumentalities” (presenter), PAHRA Spring Conference & Expo
- “Capital Fund Financing Program” (presenter), NCRC NAHRO Conference and Exhibition
- “Affiliated Entities - Fiduciary Liability Pitfalls” (presenter), NAHRO Summer Conference
- “Rethinking our Neighborhood Structure and Implementing Revitalization” (presenter), NAHRO Summer Conference
- “Pledging Replacement Housing Factor Funds as Collateral for a Capital Fund Financing Loan” (presenter), Department of Housing and Urban Development's Fifth Maximizing Leverage Conference
- “Making It Work: Affordable Housing” (presenter), Landlord-Tenant Law Seminar
- “Structuring Effective Partnerships” (presenter), Residential Initiatives for Maine and Local Initiatives Support Corp.
- “Housing Authority Affiliates - Traps for the Unwary” (presenter), PAHRA.
Ms. Yarbrough Korb is a graduate of Leadership Pittsburgh, Inc.’s Leadership Development Initiative (Class XVI) and Leadership On Board (XI) with the Allegheny County Bar Foundation. She is a member and serves on the national housing committee of the National Association of Housing & Redevelopment Organizations. She also is a member of the Notre Dame Club of Pittsburgh and the Allegheny County Bar Association.
Ms. Yarbrough Korb was selected for inclusion on the 2013 Pennsylvania Rising Stars list.