Pepper's Diversity Outreach
Pepper regularly participates in and sponsors external diversity initiatives and
bar-related events, such as:
- Pepper's annual Celebrate Diversity event was held on July 17, 2012. Lawyers, clients, alumni and staff attended Pepper’s seventh annual event. PD Villarreal, Senior Vice President, Global Litigation at GlaxoSmithKline, was presented with the 2012 Champion of Diversity Award.
- Pepper also supports diversity goals in pro bono work. For example, beginning in March 2011, Pepper’s Boston office is partnering with the Economic Justice Project, an arm of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law of the Boston Bar Association, which combats race and national origin discrimination through litigation, minority community economic development and legal assistance. Several lawyers in our Boston office will be working with EJP to help budding entrepreneurs and others in the Haitian community in Mattapan, MA through workshops, legal clinics and other pro bono representation.
- The Philadelphia Diversity Law Group. An organization of law firms and corporate
counsel promoting diverse lawyer hiring and retention. Pepper is a founding member.
- Lavender Law. The annual conference of the National Lesbian and Gay Law Association
and the National Lesbian and Gay Law Foundation.
- The annual convention of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association.
- The American Bar Association’s National Conference for the Minority Lawyer.
- The Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia’s Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Breakfast.
- Women's Law Project Western Pennsylvania Rights to Realities Reception.
- Allegheny Bar Association Diversity Collaborative events.
- Villanova Law School’s Diversity Initiative. Includes awarding three-year,
full tuition scholarships for two diverse law students annually and hiring two
Villanova minority 1L students annually as law clerks. We also sponsor the Villanova
Pre-Law Undergraduate Scholars Program (PLUS), a legal preparatory program for undergraduates
from groups under represented in the legal profession as well as the law school’s
annual Martin L. King, Jr. lecture.
- Drexel University Earle Mack School of Law’s Minority Fellowship Program.
Pepper is a charter sponsor, which includes a commitment to providing minority students
with a $15,000 stipend and a six-month co-op at the firm.
- Alianza’s annual Campeones de la Justicia. Rutgers School of Law-Camden’s
Latino law student organization’s Champions of Justice award banquet.
- The Asian Pacific American Law Students Association’s Lunar Banquet at Temple
University Beasley School of Law.
- The University of Pennsylvania’s Black Law Students Association’s annual Dr.
Sadie T.M. Alexander Commemorative Conference.
- Regional and local minority law student job fairs and other minority recruiting